Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have salary raise (dummy) data - trying to visualise the months in between raises

Capture.PNG

Hello, 

our company has data on when people have been given raises - as seen in the dummy data above. The HR manager would like to visualise this data, showing people's salaries in between their raises (she is not bothered by getting the actualy monthly salary, she just wants to visualise for every month in between what the annual salary of the employee was. 

So let's take Angela for example, she wants to show Angela's salary as 55,000 from July 2012 to July 2019, and then 80,000 from August 2019 goinf forwards. How can we achieve that? 

If this is about adding new rows into the data for all of the missing months (grouped by employee), could someone help me do this? 

Even better, is there a way to calculate this as a measure that would work on a line chart? (showing all of the months in between July 2012 to August 2019 as 55k for Angela, rather than just two spikes in July 2012 and August 2019). 

Thank you, 

your help is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

Using Power Query you can likely acheive your desired results as I proposed in this post https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Writing-Rows-in-a-Calculated-Table-From-Flat-Data-and-Building-a/m-p/786013#M378542

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

Using Power Query you can likely acheive your desired results as I proposed in this post https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Writing-Rows-in-a-Calculated-Table-From-Flat-Data-and-Building-a/m-p/786013#M378542

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean it's not the solution I am looking for, but sure, since other people can accept solution on my behalf, you can have it, I guess?

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You may drag date from a separate calendar table and use the following measure.

Measure =
VAR d =
    MAX ( 'Table 2'[Date] )
RETURN
    MAXX (
        TOPN ( 1, FILTER ( 'Table', 'Table'[Date] <= d ), 'Table'[Date], DESC ),
        'Table'[Salary]
    )
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, this just shows the two months - their initial salary and their raise. On a line graph, this doesn't fill in the months in between. Sorry, not what I'm looking for. Thank you though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors