Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

boddydan
Frequent Visitor

Have realtime DirectQuery working as intended - Update a query that combines multiple queries?

Hi everyone,

I've followed a tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyGBZsLxe54) using Play Axis to have my report refresh my DirectQuery datasets in realtime (~10 seconds). This works very well for when I'm simply putting my data straight from the origin database into a table, however I have a query which combines data from multiple queries into one table, that does not update with the DirectQueries.

let
    Table1 = Table.AddColumn(Table.LastN(#"TABLEfromDIRECTQUERY1",5000),"reference",each "DIRECTQUERY1"),
    Table2 = Table.AddColumn(Table.LastN(#"TABLEfromDIRECTQUERY2",5000),"reference",each "DIRECTQUERY2"),
    Table3 = Table.AddColumn(Table.LastN(#"TABLEfromDIRECTQUERY3",5000),"reference",each "DIRECTQUERY3"),
    Source = Table.Combine({FilterTable1, FilterTable2, FilterTable3})
in
    Source

My visuals use data from this 'merging' query to plot data, so when this query doesn't update with the inidividual tables, my visuals do not work. I would've thought that this query should update as its comprising elements update, however this does not appear to be the case. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get this combined table to refresh with the smaller tables? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply. The DirectQueries are coming from the same SQL server (thanks for the hint- I think I have been importing them in a strange way) but are just different tables in the same database. I've been able to get my combinational query to work just now using the 'Append Queries' button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

If these DirectQueries are coming from separate sources (e.g. not all from the same SQL server) then I'm not sure there is a way to combine these without switching to import mode.

It's not elegant, but one possible workaround is to write separate measures for each source and then a unifying measure that combines or switches between them as appropriate.

Thanks for the reply. The DirectQueries are coming from the same SQL server (thanks for the hint- I think I have been importing them in a strange way) but are just different tables in the same database. I've been able to get my combinational query to work just now using the 'Append Queries' button.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.