Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GunnerJ
Post Patron
Post Patron

Have one slicer selection filter out another slicer

I have a slicer that looks at service order open dates. I'm hoping to make it the sole date filter on my dashboard. However, I have some data that needs to be filtered by a different date field. Still I want that data set to look at the same Year/month. Currently when I make a selection in my first filter I get multiple values that correspond to the original selection. Is there a way to automatically limit it to just the value selected in the first slicer?

In the picture below the bottom slicer is the "dominant slicer" I want the top slicer to only show whatever value is shown in the bottom slicer. I then plan to hide the top slicer from view. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

MonthYear Slicer.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @GunnerJ 

Please check your relationship.Based on my test,the [Event MY] could be filtered by [MY] as below.

a1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@GunnerJ sorry your question is not fully clear. May be you need date dimension which will link to each date field to filter the data.

Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully I can clarify. In the 1st picture below I have slicer "MY" set to Feb 2019. I would like it to then automatically make the slicer "EVENT MY" to Feb 2019 as well. "MY" looks at service order open dates and the "EVENT MY" looks at the month tasks within those service orders were completed and thats why we have additonal dates showing. "MY" is within my date table and "EVENT MY" is within my main data table. I already had some relationships but tried making an active relationship between the values in question but it wasn't allowed. Does this help?

MonthYear Slicer.PNGMonthYear Slicer 2.PNG

@parry2k  So maybe another way of putting this would be how can I capture a slicer selection and create a value that can be used by another slicer?

So the dax would basically look like this:

EVENT MY Filter = FILTER( workflow, workflow[COMPTIME] = MY Filter selection)

I know thats not correct dax but hopefully it gets my message accross. I think being able to capture the filter value solves my problem.

@GunnerJ you can get the slicer value by using SelectedValue  function

My Value = SELECTEDVALUE( Table[Column] )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k I'm hopeful that we're close to an end solution. 

Below I tried to return just values of workflow[EVENT MY] that were equal to the selected value. Am I close to the correct function? All it needs to do is return EVENT MY if its the same date as "MY" slicer. Both are date values. 

Filter Dax.PNG

Hi @GunnerJ 

Please check your relationship.Based on my test,the [Event MY] could be filtered by [MY] as below.

a1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.