Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

G_Whit-UK
Helper II
Helper II

Have a measure populate a table column to be used in a filter

Hi,

I am trying to populate a column in an existing table based on the value of a measure.  The measure has two values which are defined by the user through a slicer ("Month on Month" or "Year on "Year").  The aim is for the slicer to modify the filter criteria of a chart to flip between a month on month view vs a year on year view.

I was trying to have the value of the measure populate a column in the date table, which would then allow me to apply a filter on the selected parameter.

My Data is as follows:

Table 1: "YoY vs MoM" (This is used to populate the slicer for the user to select the required period)

Column HeaderYoY / MoM
Row 1Year on Year
Row 2Month on Month

Measure:

MoM / YoY = SELECTEDVALUE('YoY vs MoM'[YoY / MoM],"Error")

Table 2:  This table holds my dates and where I want the measure to populate the final column

Column HeaderDate (dd/mm/yy)MoM MarkerYoY MarkerMerged MarkersOutput from "MoM / YoY" Measure
Row 131/08/20 YoYSame Month Prior Year 
Row 230/09/20    
Row 1231/07/21MoM Prior Month 
Row 1331/08/21MoMYoYCurrent Month 

The goal is to have the final column values adjust based on the user's selection, which in turn will adjust the filters applied to the page. Examples...

Example 1: MoM selected  Example 2: YoY Selected 
Merged MarkersOutput from "MoM / YoY" Measure Merged MarkersOutput from "MoM / YoY" Measure
Same Month Prior Year  Same Month Prior YearYoY

Prior MonthMoM Prior Month 
Current MonthMoM Current MonthYoY

Therefore by setting the filter to the above column and not selecting blanks, the dates should adjust based on the user's selection.

Is there a smarter / better way to achieve the desired impact on the displayed chart?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Username,

I  agree with @amitchandak ‘s point. Columns do not take slicer values.

You will need to create a measure instead of a column.
Here's the sample data: YOY as sum and MOM as average.

11.png

You will need to create a table as below and use it as slicer.

22.png

Then create a measure to switch between YOY and MOM.
measure

Measure = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])=1,[YoY],IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])=2,[MoM],"Error"))

33.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Username,

I  agree with @amitchandak ‘s point. Columns do not take slicer values.

You will need to create a measure instead of a column.
Here's the sample data: YOY as sum and MOM as average.

11.png

You will need to create a table as below and use it as slicer.

22.png

Then create a measure to switch between YOY and MOM.
measure

Measure = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])=1,[YoY],IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])=2,[MoM],"Error"))

33.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

Thanks @v-rongtiep-msft & @v-stephen-msft , however I'm not sure this truly solves what I am trying to achieve.  What I am trying to achieve is to have a waterfall chart flip between Month on Month (current vs prior month), Year on Year comparison (current month vs same month prior year), or YTD (current year to date vs prior year's year to date) based on a filter where the user can select which comparison they prefer.

Here is a simplified version of a data table (with some months missing to keep this post succinct:

Example table.jpg

Therefore, if the user selects MoM, then the data for the current month (Sep '21) will be compared vs Aug '21, wheras if they selected YoY the chart will be comparing the current month vs Sep '20.

If the user selected YTD, then it would be the '21 YTD sum (Jan - Sep '21) vs the '20 YTD sum for the same period (i.e. Jan '20 - Sep '20).

Would the proposed solution meet the above requirements?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@G_Whit-UK , if you trying to create a new calculated column with help from measure and slicer, that is not possible. Columns do not take slicer values.

You have to create measure in such a case

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.