Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

win_anthony
Resolver III
Resolver III

Has anyone deployed to a large number of recipients?

This is just a general inquiry on a how to deploy / manage reports to a large number of recipients. To date, my experience has revolved around me manually adding up to 10 names in the recipients box for any reports. Now I am on the cusp of deploying a project that has upwards of 700 recipients. All required information for each recipient is in SQL Server and not some excel workbook.

My question is more on where do I start? Do I really have to type 700 names into the recipients box? Let's assume that people quit/get promoted/change positions...how do I ensure that only the proper recipients get the report (ex: only Store Managers not supervisors)?

Any advice or guidance on this will be greatly appreciated. I am super excited to have this opportunity to gain experience on a large scale but nervous on the execution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @win_anthony 

When you want to share report with other users, there is a limit that you can only enter 100 recipients' emails at a time. To simplify the sharing operation and manage the report users more easily, you can add all users into a group and enter the group email in the recipient box. Azure AD security groups and distribution lists, and Microsoft 365 Groups are all supported. In this way, all members of this group will have access to this report. 

You can also consider publishing an app from a new workspace and giving a group of people access to this app. It is also supported to be shared to Azure AD security groups, distribution lists and Microsoft 365 Groups.

You can manage group members in Microsoft 365 admin center or Azure Portal. You can bulk add members to a group in the Azure portal. 

Hope this helps.

Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @win_anthony 

When you want to share report with other users, there is a limit that you can only enter 100 recipients' emails at a time. To simplify the sharing operation and manage the report users more easily, you can add all users into a group and enter the group email in the recipient box. Azure AD security groups and distribution lists, and Microsoft 365 Groups are all supported. In this way, all members of this group will have access to this report. 

You can also consider publishing an app from a new workspace and giving a group of people access to this app. It is also supported to be shared to Azure AD security groups, distribution lists and Microsoft 365 Groups.

You can manage group members in Microsoft 365 admin center or Azure Portal. You can bulk add members to a group in the Azure portal. 

Hope this helps.

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

@v-jingzhang Thank you for the response. I will have to work with my admin team to help set this up. Question for you, let's assume that I was able to have my admin team set up the security groups for all of the recipients, do we have to make sure that they have licenses to view the report on the PBI service? This is my first time managing a project of this scale and I am definitely nervous on the execution. 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Hi @win_anthony 

If you share reports directly with people or through apps, you need a Power BI Pro license to share your content. The people you share it with need a Pro license too, or the content needs to be in a workspace in a Premium capacity. If the report or app is located in a Premium capacity, they can be shared with people who have free license.

For more details and features by license type, please refer to below docs:

Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Feature availability for users with free licenses - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.