Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Handling large number of slicers

I have a report that I need to filter using 10 - 12 different criteria. In the past, we would allign all slicers in a column on the left side of the page, but as we reach the need to combine 10 - 12 different filtering criteria, the page is quickly becoming over crowded. Have you found any way to better handle the need to combine 10 - 12 different slicers in an elegent way?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Perhaps use Sync Slicers. So, have a page of just slicers. The on the actual report page, hide all of your sync'd slicers. Nice clean interface, more space for reports, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This Video has a great example of how to make a slicer 'overlay' with a button. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy9nmSQeUWg

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous,

Honestly, the best approach is to decide if you really need 10-12 slicers on one page. Are they all always necessary?

Other options:

• There's a custom visual available for a hierachy slicer, if that would be helpful.
  • Can any of the slicers become a page- or report-level filter? Or have a landing page with synced slicers, as Greg recommended.
  • A more complex option I've used when none of these are available is to take advantage of the bookmarking feature. I have a button to create an "overlay" of sorts that contains all but our most critical and dynamic slicers. Then you can filter as needed, and close the overlay to view the results. There's also a "clear slicers" button to quickly reset your choices

Base page:

The info button in the top right will bring up the overlay...

base.PNG

Overlay:

...which frosts over the visuals and contains the slicers. Any selections will be maintained when you close the overlay to view the report again.

overlay.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

That overlay page sounds really interesting, but I've never seen that before.

Is there anyway to make a true overlay page or are you just unhiding a rectangle with some slicers on it?

The overlay isn't an actual feature, it's just a bookmark trick doing what you said. Have a base page bookmark, then an overlay bookmark (shaded shape, slicers), then a reset bookmark.

It looks cool to clients and allows the use of a lot of slicers (I've also had an overlay that contains tooltips/visual explanations, basically using it as a help page), but adds a layer of complexity. It's not economical for large reports.

The best option is probably a landing page with synced slicers, as Greg mentioned.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Perhaps use Sync Slicers. So, have a page of just slicers. The on the actual report page, hide all of your sync'd slicers. Nice clean interface, more space for reports, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler I like your approach. Good approach.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.