Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wilson_smyth
Post Patron
Post Patron

Handling complex custom models from Dynamics 365

I have been able to connect to Dynamics 365 via the OData URL and can see a list of entities.

We have quite a complex custom set of entities and any useful reporting would requrire joining these entities.
This is easy when using SQL to query onsite dynamics, but Dynamics 365 doesnt allow sql queries.

The only options i can see are:

- use the power query editor and hope i can munge the data into a useful model,.

- write .NET code in the CRM Proxy to obtain the data in the shape i require. This seems like overkill.

Are there any simpler options available?

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wilson_smyth,

Based on my research, I suggest you use the merge function in Power BI Desktop, you could refer to below two links:

http://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/01/11/incremental-load-in-powerbi-using-dax-union/

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

the entity model is to complex for merge.

We will end up writing a crm proxy, and in this we will join the various entities together using LINQ and provide  this as a web service to PowerBI. Slightly overkill, but we have very good CRM developers here who can make it happen.

Hi @wilson_smyth,

Ok, hope you could solve your problem and don't forget to close this topic.

Regars,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.