Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laciodrom_80
Helper IV
Helper IV

Handle REST api request in M language to display both data and errors in report

Hi guys,

I'm afraid it isn't possible, but hope springs eternal Smiley Very Happy

I'm succesfully getting json data by an http request and I also handle 404 status error code:

let

GetJson = Web.Contents("http://localhost:8282/prova/units.json",
        [
            Headers = [CacheControl="no-cache", ContentType="application/json"],
            ManualStatusHandling={404}
        ]
    ),
    GetMetadata = Value.Metadata(GetJson),
    GetResponseStatus = GetMetadata[Response.Status],

Output = if GetResponseStatus = 200 
                then let 
                        FormatAsJson = Json.Document(GetJson),
                        #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(FormatAsJson, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
                        #"Expanded {0}" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "name", "type", "subTypeId", "subTypeName", "subTypeDescription", "subTypeCategory", "pdsrId", "pdsrName", "zone", "operatorId", "operatorEtsoCode", "operatorBusinessName", "marketEnablings"}, {"id", "name", "type", "subTypeId", "subTypeName", "subTypeDescription", "subTypeCategory", "pdsrId", "pdsrName", "zone", "operatorId", "operatorEtsoCode", "operatorBusinessName", "marketEnablings"})                                                
                    in 
                        FormatAsJson
                else let 
                        errorCode = GetResponseStatus     
                    in 
                        errorCode,
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Output, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded {0}" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "name", "type", "subTypeId", "subTypeName", "subTypeDescription", "subTypeCategory", "pdsrId", "pdsrName", "zone", "operatorId", "operatorEtsoCode", "operatorBusinessName", "marketEnablings"}, {"Column1.id", "Column1.name", "Column1.type", "Column1.subTypeId", "Column1.subTypeName", "Column1.subTypeDescription", "Column1.subTypeCategory", "Column1.pdsrId", "Column1.pdsrName", "Column1.zone", "Column1.operatorId", "Column1.operatorEtsoCode", "Column1.operatorBusinessName", "Column1.marketEnablings"})

in 
    #"Expanded {0}"

I would like the report based on this query shows the data getted by the query when it ends well, but I would also like to see the status error code if it fails.

The problem is that when I run the query for the first time without errors, power bi creats its own model for the data returned in the case of no errors, so if I try to cause an error (for example changing the name of the units.json file on the web server so to produce a 404 error) and then I update the report dataset....power bi shows the pop-up "It's impossible to convert 404 value into type List"

Could it be possible write a query which allows me to display into the report data if it ends well and error code if it ends bad? 

Many thanks in advance for any clue!

Luca
1 REPLY 1

Hi @laciodrom_80,

Do you still need help?
Can you provide a sample units.json file?

Please give Kudos for support.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.