Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dodiyal
Frequent Visitor

HOW TO SAVE POWER QUERY WITHOUT REFRESHING DATA AFTER THE DATA SOURCE IS CHANGED

hello team,

Kindly note i work with a huge dataset from server alomst 1 GB. I do have the same folder in my local pc but i keep only less number of same files so that whenever i do amendments i can refresh the data and check it and then save it so that i do not need to directly use data from server which takes lot of time to refresh.

I have seen that whenever i change the data source it is not possible to save the data without REFERESH the data, i need to APPLY QUERY. 

Is there any method while i change to data source then Power query do not refresh and only take the differnt data source and save it?

Example

1) Here is the PBI desktop data source connected to my local folder

dodiyal_1-1610303828929.png

2) When i change the data source to server 

dodiyal_2-1610303964590.png

while savin it refreshes 1 gb data from server 

dodiyal_3-1610304014560.png

If i click APPLY LATER then DATA SOURCE is not being changed

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @dodiyal,

Nope, I don't think you can achieve this.  The backend query table only shows the preview of m query processing result, these records not really change the current data models table records.
You need to do apply the change to re-generate the new model table records based on the latest codes. 
Notice: m query code has been updated, but these changes not auto applies to the data model to prevent the data structure change which may break the front report design and calculation expressions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dodiyal yes anytime metadata is changed, it will refresh the data. 

Check my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and Beyond to get a summary of my favourite Power BI feature releases in 2020

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.