Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Saaharjit
Helper I
Helper I

HOW TO CALCULATE THROUGH PUT

I have have a table containing units produced by an employee on a particular date.

1. i want to be able to provide a date fliter to the user. For eg if the user wants to see the production from 18 apr 2017 to 28 apr 2017.

2. Calculate throughput. i.e. Sum of units produced by and employee between the days mentioned above / number of days in the date filter.

EDIT : i was able to accomplish the first part. Now I just want to divide the unit by the number of days in the date filter. In this case it would be 10 days.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First, you should create a date table that links to your fact table.

Then, create a few measures:

Production = Sum(Table[Units])

DayCount = Datediff(Min(Calendar[Date]), Max(Calendar[Date], day))

Finally:

Throughput = Production/DayCount

Now, when you put in date range slicer using the date table field, a selected date range will filter the production table, so you only get the units produced for that range.  The DayCount measure counts the days in the calendar table based on the min/max (which will be adjusted based on your filter selection).

If you want to view by employee, create a table or other visual with employee name as an axis/row, and add the measure to the values field for the visual (or add a slicer for employee from the production table).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

First, you should create a date table that links to your fact table.

Then, create a few measures:

Production = Sum(Table[Units])

DayCount = Datediff(Min(Calendar[Date]), Max(Calendar[Date], day))

Finally:

Throughput = Production/DayCount

Now, when you put in date range slicer using the date table field, a selected date range will filter the production table, so you only get the units produced for that range.  The DayCount measure counts the days in the calendar table based on the min/max (which will be adjusted based on your filter selection).

If you want to view by employee, create a table or other visual with employee name as an axis/row, and add the measure to the values field for the visual (or add a slicer for employee from the production table).

Thank you for your help. I have a question though. What if i have the date in the same table. Can i not use the datesbetween function? I just don't know its proper syntax.

It is always a best practice, and actually required by some time intelligence DAX functions, to have a date table.  This means that you have a table with every date in your required range, no duplicates, and any other date related info related to your use case (i.e. month name, quarter of year, fiscal year, etc.)

is it possible to exclude weekend days in the day count?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.