Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

HOW?Calculated Column: if "this column" matches "this column" then display "this column" else "None"

I am trying to create a calculated column that looks at a couple of different columns - if they match, then display the number, if there's no match - display "No PO".

Here's an example: (there are actually thousands and thousands of rows for these two columns)

Type                          Number

Purchase Order          12345

Sales Order                 34567

Sales Order                12345

Sales Order                45769

Purchase Order          34567

Purchase Order          12567

What I need to get:

Type               Sales Order #     POs

Sales Order     34567                34567

Sales Order     12345                12345
Sales Order     45769                 "NO PO"

ANY assitance on this will be GREATLY appreciated!! 

The script I've created gets this error: DAX Comparison operations do not support comparing values of type Text.

Not very savvy with DAX yet...

Thanks in advance!!! 

~heathernicoale
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ImkeF Thanks! This works great!

One thing I'll say if anyone is trying this don't rename a step "Filter Table" with a space

I don't know why it doesn't work with a space - use "FilteredTable" no space

Otherwise works great! Thanks again!

View solution in original post

You have to create a Relationship to the new Lookup Table you've just created...

@ImkeF @Sean 

Here's what I had to do: 

the actual table I'm working with has a lot more columns and more values for that "Type" column. So what I did was 

1. Duplicated the core table - renamed it
  2. Filtered for ONLY Sales Orders and Purchase Orders
  3. Created a Reference table 
  4. THEN used the video to finish the rest (merging queries).

In order to correct the date issue - I redid the steps and didn't take out any columns. Apparently one of the columns was a link to the Calendar table.

Once I did that - I manually created the relationship between the Referenced table (with all the calculations and filters) and the Calendar table. All slicers work and the data is correct!! 😄 

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I've been working on this one for about 2 1/2 weeks so this was a huge win. Greatly appreciated the collaboration and desire to help! Thanks again!

~heathernicoale

37 REPLIES 37
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

POs = IF ( [Type] = "Purchase Order", [Number], "NO PO")

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

That didn't quite work... 😞 

If sales order number and the purchase order number MATCH - the display the number - if there's not a match the display NO PO

That's kind of the algorithm / code I'm shooting for...  this might be a better visual:

Sales Order    Matching PO

12345               12345

34567                NO PO

I'm trying to explain it as best as I can. So sorry for the confusion!

~heathernicoale

What are the columns in your data?

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

What do you mean exactly? 

~heathernicoale

I got it now. Actually the best way to do this is with a new Query which you write in M not DAX

I would tell you you're best bet is ImkeF she is the M expert

Because you are actually comparing rows

If I get another idea I'll post

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

You should merge the tables within the query editor. Then pull from them as a single fact table. What it seems you are trying to do is a version of the excel vlookup. I have run into this in the past and used the merge function to overcome it. You base the merge on the column you are trying to match. If  you don't need all of the data, limit what you pull in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I have tried merging them, that seemed to be the easiest way to go about it - but it didn't work the way I thought it would. I think part of what messes it up is the fact that the sales orders and purchase orders are in the same column. 

~heathernicoale

Hi @ImkeF we hope you can help us with this problem

We have 2 Columns Type and Number and want to create a 3rd Column called Pos

Compare Rows.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

@heathernicole feel free correct or add to my explanation

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Sean I was just getting ready to do the same! 😄 Thanks so much!! 

You pretty much got it right from what I see. 

Thanks again!

@ImkeF, I believe you've helped me with another M problem. Because I don't know M still, it's hard to recognize when DAX won't do what I'm needing it to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

~heathernicoale

Thanks @Sean and @heathernicole

Lucky you - all the joys of discovering M's cool features still ahead 🙂

We do like @kcantor said: Creating filtered lookup-table with Purchase orders only. Then we merge this step (!) with the source step. So we have basically created our own lookup table within the query that we can simply adress via the stepname.

let
    Source = Table.PromoteHeaders(Table.FromColumns({ {"Type" ,"Purchase Order" ,"Sales Order" ,"Sales Order" ,"Sales Order" ,"Purchase Order" ,"Purchase Order"}, {"Number" ,"12345" ,"34567" ,"12345" ,"45769" ,"34567" ,"12567"} })),
    PurchaseOrders = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Type] = "Purchase Order")),
    MergeSteps = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Number"},PurchaseOrders,{"Number"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    ExpandPONumber = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergeSteps, "NewColumn", {"Number"}, {"Number.1"}),
    TextWhenNoPoNumberFound = Table.ReplaceValue(ExpandPONumber,null,"""no PO""",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Number.1"})
in
    TextWhenNoPoNumberFound

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ImkeF Thank you for the response!

So I created a small Excel file with the data @heathernicole used as a sample and loaded it... and I get this...

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Sean\Downloads\Compare Rows Test.xlsx"), null, true),
    TableCC_Table = Source{[Item="TableCC",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableCC_Table,{{"Type", type text}, {"Number", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Then I tried numerous ways to get your code to work in this file (which I'm sure it does)

What should I do??? That first line in your code Source = Table.PromoteHeaders... can't figure it out?

Thank You!!!

Ah, that's a real pain! You're using Internet Explorer? This browser is cutting off the code!!

(Since weeks!! - I've posted a ''complaint'' already, but nothing seems to happen - totally not understandable that MS is using forums software that doesn't comply with their own browser - or at least with some constellations of it.,..)

So here comes the code in plain text:

let

Source = Table.PromoteHeaders(Table.FromColumns({ {"Type" ,"Purchase Order" ,"Sales Order" ,"Sales Order" ,"Sales Order" ,"Purchase Order" ,"Purchase Order"}, {"Number" ,"12345" ,"34567" ,"12345" ,"45769" ,"34567" ,"12567"} })),

PurchaseOrders = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Type] = "Purchase Order")),

MergeSteps = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Number"},PurchaseOrders,{"Number"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),

ExpandPONumber = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergeSteps, "NewColumn", {"Number"}, {"Number.1"}),

TextWhenNoPoNumberFound = Table.ReplaceValue(ExpandPONumber,null,"""no PO""",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Number.1"})

in

TextWhenNoPoNumberFound

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Don't know what else to do - but this code is cut off as well in IE. So please use different browser (Edge, Firefox and Opera seem to work)

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ImkeF No I have all the code you posted - I'm using Edge.

Now logged in on Firefox everything looks the same

Anyway I have all your code - the problem is I don't know how to make it work with my code here...

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Sean\Downloads\Compare Rows Test.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableCC_Table,{{"Type", type text}, {"Number", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Where does your code go?

Thanks!

@heathernicole did you get it to work?

So sorry, was too quick on that.

My code doesn't need any tables - got everything in them: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2016/03/28/how-to-deal-with-m-code-samples/

Just create a new blank query and paste everything in, replacing the defaults.

Or use your own data and combine it like this:

let  

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableCC_Table,{{"Type", type text}, {"Number", Int64.Type}}),

PurchaseOrders = Table.SelectRows(   #"Changed Type", each ([Type] = "Purchase Order")),

in

TextWhenNoPoNumberFound

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ImkeF I get this...

Query Error.png

... another ''Source'' to be replaced (sorry):

let  

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableCC_Table,{{"Type", type text}, {"Number", Int64.Type}}),

PurchaseOrders = Table.SelectRows(   #"Changed Type", each ([Type] = "Purchase Order")),

MergeSteps = Table.NestedJoin(   #"Changed Type",{"Number"},PurchaseOrders,{"Number"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),

in

TextWhenNoPoNumberFound

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ImkeF 

Now it gives another Error in the MergeSteps => JoinKind.LeftOuter <= Invalid Identifier

@Sean @heathernicole

Looks like we need a new approach 🙂

Have a look at the video

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ImkeF Thanks! This works great!

One thing I'll say if anyone is trying this don't rename a step "Filter Table" with a space

I don't know why it doesn't work with a space - use "FilteredTable" no space

Otherwise works great! Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.