Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP with table

Hello,

When I upload my sharepoint list to power bi it uploads correctly and in the right order when I look at the query editor BUT when I add the data to the table values or matrix everything is off. How can I organize the power BI table to be in order like in the query editor?

please help

order should look like thisorder should look like thistable is not organizedtable is not organized

7 REPLIES 7
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

In the PowerQuery editor, add an index column to the imported table.

index.jpg

Then, you can either

• In the model set the sort by column of [column 1] to be the index column.
  • Pull the index column into your table, sort it by that then set it to be so narrow you can't see it.

Might I also suggest, in the PowerQuery editor adding the following steps.

• Remove top 1 row
  • Use top row as header

That way our table will have the same column headers as our sharepoint list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just taking a stab here as I'm not as savy as most in this forum.  I can clearly see that when you put the data in the matrix, it is sorting alphabetically in column one and you don't want that.  I would add an "index column" at the end of your table in the query editor.  Then, put your data in the matrix and sort it by the index column.  Then you could hide the index column.  I hope this helps.

MitchM
Resolver II
Resolver II

If I am understanding correctly, you want the table to look like the sharepoint list, which is unsorted. PowerBI will autosort based on first column added. One way around this would be to add an index column in the query editor and then sort the table on this. Go to "Add Column" and then Select "Index Column" This shoul create an index based on the native sort order.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MitchM @jdbuchanan71 @Anonymous  is there a way I can organize it by rows?

it should go like this...... even though they are all on the same column I would like to divide the columns by sections like the firs picture. When I add the first column it adds everything at once and it looks all crowded instead of being in sections within the column

POWER

-project 1

- project 2

O&G 

-project 1

-project 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you pull in Column 1, click the down arrow and make sure "Show items with no data" is selected.  This should maintain the spacing you have in your data model.

Screenshot.png

If you add the index column to your PowerQuery and sort by it, the blank rows that break up the sections will be in the correct spot in your table.

Edit: Agree with @jdbuchanan71, beat me to it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.