Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

proreporter
Regular Visitor

[HELP] Cannot Install the 32 bit version because IE 9 but I DO have Chrome

Good morning,

In order to start testing the features of PowerBI, I'm trying to install the 32 bit version of BI (I could download it browsing a bit on the official MS PowerBI web), but I come to this error message:

"MS Power BI Desktop requiere Internet Explorer 9 RTM or later. Please make sure to have installed IE9 RTM or later" (I translated it).

I have IE8, but I'm using Chrome v 54.XXXXXXX though.

On the compatible browsers I could check Chrome is also compatible.

Could you please provide some help?
Thank you all in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Power BI Desktop uses the IE9 or later rendering engine so you need a non-dark ages version of IE or Edge. Chrome or any other browser isn't going to help because Desktop is not made to recognize those rendering engines. I believe the browser compat list is for the Service, not the Desktop.

IE8????

🙂

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Power BI Desktop uses the IE9 or later rendering engine so you need a non-dark ages version of IE or Edge. Chrome or any other browser isn't going to help because Desktop is not made to recognize those rendering engines. I believe the browser compat list is for the Service, not the Desktop.

IE8????

🙂

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@smoupre wrote:

IE8????

🙂

i don't understand your point, most people after installing windows 7 only used Internet explorer ONCE! and you guessed right, for downloading chrome or any other browser, cause it's well known that IE is far behind chrome or firefox or opera in terms of speed, add-ons, security and so on. Sorry you've been in the dark ages using IE and missing other awesome browsers like chrome or opera, give it a try 😉

BTW i have IE8 also

It's my office computer -at least we have chrome though...-. But the IE can't be updated since we use other programs and accesses with that version.

That's why it'd be convenient to use Chrome instead of IE in the instalation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.