Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

saqster
Regular Visitor

HELP: Basic questions regarding Analyzing Stock Market Data

Hi Everyone

I'm new, so pls excuse dumb or repetitive questions. I'm also somewhat confused on how to use the tool, even though I've been through hours and hours of youtube videos an dweb pages , so am forced to ask here.

PS my background is in programming from years ago and not from data analysis (plus i hate sql queries 😄 ).

I am trying to analyze and correlate different stock's data.

The stock data comes in csv files. These files have about 3.5 millions rows and approx 8 columns of csv delimited data.

If these files were smaller I would be happy using Excel but my pro plus  Excel 2016 cant handle these large files so  I have to consider Power BI or Access. I would prefer to use PowerBi.

The task I am trying to  accomplish is as follows

1) import the csv files in to Power BI

2) Clean the data

3) link files primary keys to each other (using date time stamps columns)

4) Create new columns that usually compute results using previous rows values

5) Then filter data by certain conditions (from Columns created in step 3 + dates, etc)

6) Generate basic descriptive statistics (average, std deviation, etc) from the filtered data, and do further analysis

I can do all of the above with Excel on smaller files and am comfortable doing it.

With PowerBi , I fail miserably at step 4 - I can't make heads or tails out of DAX expressions and I have tried looking at hours of videos but no joy.

MY first question is-

1) Is PowerBI cut out for this task or should I be using a combination of MS Excel and Access?

2) If yes, how do i as a old school prgrammer learn DAX quickly enough to be able to do the computations required to generate the new columns? (I've looked at answers in this forum but coudn't understand how the DAX code worked e.g. I think the row issue was solved in this post add previous row values)

The Videos I watched on DAX, power pivot etc I found hard to understand because they are constantly using examples and terminology Im not familiar with. I'm relativley certain if there was a lesson somewhere that simply explained how DAX works theoretically as oppsed to a language like C, etc  OR  a direct comparison to Excel cell operations, I could figure this out myself, but so far I have not run in to such examples.

PLS HELP, I AM DESPERATE. All pointers will be appreciated - Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thx , will review. Although I found an exact description at the folloing blog, (listing here for other newbies)-

http://ignoringthevoices.blogspot.com/2016/02/comparing-with-previous-row-using.html

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @saqster,

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @saqster,

1. Power BI uses DAX, a formula language, to manipulate the dataset.

2. Maybe you could follow this site: http://www.sqlbi.com/learning-dax/?utm_source=powerbi&utm_medium=marketing&utm_campaign=after-summit and there are many samples here: http://www.daxpatterns.com/patterns/

I think context (row context and filter context) and function "Calculate" are the most important things to understand first. 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thx , will review. Although I found an exact description at the folloing blog, (listing here for other newbies)-

http://ignoringthevoices.blogspot.com/2016/02/comparing-with-previous-row-using.html

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.