Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KieranMagill
Frequent Visitor

HANA - ODBC Error

Dear Community,

We have recently had some issues with some previously published PowerBI Reports that connect to SAP HANA

Almost a year ago, we published the first version of a set of reports from HANA to powerbi.com. At some point over the Christmas period (or shortly before) any visualisation that had an 'is' filter set on it stopped working. Whenever the reports were loaded, these visualisations would display "Cannot display this visualisation" with an error at the top stating to contact the gateway administrator. No changes have been made to these reports for approx 3 months, and we know that they were functioning early December, however due to the Christmas break and other priorities in the business, we're not able to nail down exactly when these issues started occuring.

As I was not able to replicate the issue on my machine, I through trial and error discovered that the pre-set filters were causing the issues that users were experiencing using the web interface. Filters on the query don't cause a problem, and neither do 'IS NOT' or 'Contains' filters, so I replaced all our pre-set filters with a combination of these. However once these were all published to PowerBI.com, we found that any filters applied using slicers resulted in the same error.

The next step taken was upgrading the PowerBI Desktop client on my machine, believing that a mismatch between the service and the client version could cause issues with filters. Unfortunately this has now meant that I get the same issue on my machine when maintaining the reports (makes troubleshooting slightly easier, but doesn't resolve the problem)

Has anyone experienced similar issues and resolved them? If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks in advance,

Kieran Magill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@KieranMagill,

To get a better explanation for this issue, you may direct create a support ticket.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KieranMagill
Frequent Visitor

To clarify this post, the original issue we were having was a bug within the PowerBI Service that Microsoft resolved over the weekend. We are still having issues with PowerBI Desktop, but Microsoft Support are investigating

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@KieranMagill,

To get a better explanation for this issue, you may direct create a support ticket.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-chuncz-msft I'll do this and post back here when we get a solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.