Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping visuals not working (no right-click menu)

I'm trying to use the new grouping visuals feature in the Aug-2019 release.

I select a visual, then ctrl-Click to select a second.  I then try to right-click to get the context menu allowing me to Group them, but I don't get the context menu at all.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there something I need to enable?

Thanks

(I searched for this question, but didn't find it)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI, @Anonymous 

After my research, it seems that you need to enable File->Options and settings->Options ->Report settings->Visual options "Use the modern visual header with updated styling options" as below:

13.JPG

Then it should work well.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Not sure, it is still working for me.  Maybe try reinstalling PowerBI Desktop.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Are you running the latest version of PowerBI desktop?

yes, 

claraigg_0-1694454676554.png

So in your .pbix file, if you group items, you see the group under the selection view but when you close and save, then reopen the .pbix file, the group is gone?

jdbuchanan71_0-1694486739942.png

Exactly.- I can group. I´ve just reopened and the group is gone. So Some bookmarks broke.

Why? Itps completely annoying.

claraigg
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, i can group the visualizations. However, I saved it and when i opened again my workbook, the grouping is not working, any thoughts?

claraigg
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, I can group. But then, when i opened again my workbook, the group is broken, verything is ungroup again. Why????

jdyoung1515
Regular Visitor

When I right-click after a selection I get only a dithered "Summarize". I just found this thread, but it seems that the "Use modern visual header with updated styling options" option no longer exists.

I found the Group button in the Format tab and it solved the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue and the solution did not fix the problem.

When I right click is does not allow grouping.

The menu only gives

Show Data

Copy > Copy visual

Hey connect.

Did you update to the august verison of Power BI?

Steph

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Do you have data in both the visuals?  It looks like the menu doesn't come up if either of the visuals is empty.  It also matters where you right click.  Try right clicking on the title bar of one of the visuals.  If you see the little hand pointer the right click doesn't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thoughts, but still doesn't work.

Yes, both visuals include data.  I've tried clicking everywhere (hand pointer, arrow pointer) - no joy.  Once the two visuals are selected, I can click and drag them together, but there is no right-click menu.

HI, @Anonymous 

After my research, it seems that you need to enable File->Options and settings->Options ->Report settings->Visual options "Use the modern visual header with updated styling options" as below:

13.JPG

Then it should work well.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Still not work for me

Hi All

Unfortunately the solutions on this page do not work for me!

I have the visual tick box already enabled and the selections panel does not provide a right click menu either

I am on version : 2.69.5467.5201 64-bit (May 2019)

is this a version issue or is grouping incredibly well hidden in the May2019 build?!?

any help at all would be great

Many thanks 

Hi @DavisJamesUK ,

I got the version update and it worked for me perfectly. So try to update it at your end. Infact I was testing it in version June, 2019 and it didn't worked and than I updated to Sept, 2019 and it worked.

BR

Ahsan

Many thanks for your reply @ahsankhan , I will give it a go !

Hi, I have try grouping the selected item but i am not able to get this right click group option. The option you showed s already checked in my settings. Is there anything that I am missing.

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone!

I have the same problem when grouping. I have the november 2019 release.

The solution posted doens't work for me. Since I already have it checked. But yet, I can't group.

Any thoughts?

@Pierrechapar 

If you open the selection panel can you select both visuals the right click on one of them and pick group?

SelectionGroup.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.