Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping specific rows together

I have a data set of production values from various machines that I'm using to calculate machine utilization. I used group by to combine the values into machine and date and sum the run hours. Below shows the data. The rows are machine, date, mfg cell, mfg type, run hours, and scheduled hours.

LEGO pic  080119.PNG

I want to combine 0556-LEGO 2-1 and 2-2 into one value (0556). Is there any way to group these into one column so they don't show up as duplicates in my sums without having to filter one out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

I see. Does this possibly work? I added Column 2, 3, 4, and 6 to the GROUP BY function in order to return them.

Capture1.PNG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Before using Group By, you could try to just replace both variable names with "0556." In "Edit Queries," you can:

1. Select the entirety of that first column

2. Right click, find "Replace Values..."

3. Replace "0556-LEGO 2-1" and "0556-LEGO 2-2" with "0556"

4. THEN use Group By to group the values of "0556" together

Does that work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! The problem with that is that when I group them, I sum the run hours so if a press makes two different parts in a day, it'll say it ran for the sum of those two parts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

I see. So you just want an average then?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah an average would work for that press if it can be done separately from grouping the others.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

I see. Does this possibly work? I added Column 2, 3, 4, and 6 to the GROUP BY function in order to return them.

Capture1.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that'll do it! Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.