Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping of dynamic values in Pie chart

Hello all,

I am stuck in some weird dilemma with some not so friendly pie chart data set.

I have a data set based on survey questions and values. Survey contains 25questions and each has a text value answer. My team wants to showcase one particular question in that survey in form a pie-chart only. As it is survey, some answers have high entry rate than others. For e.g.
User 1 - Question 4- Not interested to disclose
User 2- Question 4: >35000
User 3-Question 4: >5000 and so on

Now when I am creating pie-chart for Question 4, values like "Not interested to disclose" take up 32% of pie, some other value take 15%, whereas values such ">35000" take up only 2% pie area. These values get squeezed and difficult to select. The scenario mentioned at last occurs for 8 kind of responses with all taking something between 5% to 0.7% of pie area. Like I mentioned before, all these 8 values are difficult to view or select. Showcasing top N is not helpful as all values are important from business perspective.

So is it possible we can dynamically group all these low hanging values in one as "Other"? And then use tool tip or some other bookmark method to showcase the small values in form of bar chart? Zoomcharts donut chart was not helpful because of watermark.

Also can we show legends as "Not interested to disclose- 35%" instead of just 35%?

Thanks for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

According to your description, i create a sample to test:

90.PNG

Then please try to create a column to show new type:

NewType = IF(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Type]))/COUNTROWS('Table')<=0.1,"Other",'Table'[Type])

Choose pie chart, it shows:

91.PNG95.PNG

Then create a new page, choose [Type] as Pie chart, and apply a filter to it, it shows:

92.PNG

Turn on DrillThrough function:

93.PNG

When you choose 'Other' type in the first page, you can drill through to see its details:

94.jpg

Here is my test pbix file:

pbix 

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

According to your description, i create a sample to test:

90.PNG

Then please try to create a column to show new type:

NewType = IF(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Type]))/COUNTROWS('Table')<=0.1,"Other",'Table'[Type])

Choose pie chart, it shows:

91.PNG95.PNG

Then create a new page, choose [Type] as Pie chart, and apply a filter to it, it shows:

92.PNG

Turn on DrillThrough function:

93.PNG

When you choose 'Other' type in the first page, you can drill through to see its details:

94.jpg

Here is my test pbix file:

pbix 

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Anonymous
Not applicable

v-gizhi-msft - Great solution. Thanks your help along with PBIX file. You are the best!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.