Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ruksuro
Helper III
Helper III

Grouping of Metrics Automatically

Hi Community!

I'm having a play with some data in PowerBI Desktop, I have a large number of columns with percentage data in (0% - 100%)  stored as number (not a decimal).

When I plot this as a bar chart it, naturally, shows all percentages. I can group these into 10's using a fairly cumbersome tool.

Is there an easier way than having to define all my own groups? We're talking a couple of hundred columns here.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Ruksuro,

Untill now, we can only create the group manully, can not do it automatically. You can also group by in Query Edit navigator. Please review this artcile for reference.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ruksuro,

It's confusing, you have a couple of hundred columns, how did you display it in bar chart? If you want to category many columns to several groups, it impossible in Power BI desktop. If you want to group different values in same column, you can right click the field->group, set it based on your requirement. More details, please review this article.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Sorry, the confusion is my fault, I was unclear.

I would like to group the values within each column individually (for example bands of 10%).

The interface for creating groups in drag and drop by each unique value, it would take a while to do all columns.

Hi @Ruksuro,

Untill now, we can only create the group manully, can not do it automatically. You can also group by in Query Edit navigator. Please review this artcile for reference.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks for your help, it's a shame this is not a feature.

When you deal with fields with high cardinality the grouping tool is fairly unuseable.

I'll set up some processing in DAX.

Cheers.

Hi @Ruksuro,

You can create a feature request here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks again.

For anyone else with this problem I have submitted my idea here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.