Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ahmedbjr
Regular Visitor

Grouping date/time stamp into 5 mins time interval

Hello,

I have a column of incidents that span over a month in date/time stamp format like 

11/21/2017 5:04:45 AM

11/21/2017 5:07:20 AM

11/21/2017 5:08:18 AM

11/21/2017 6:01:23 AM

The big picture is that I would like to know the number of incidents that occur within 5 min timeframe during the entire month. That is, with a 5 min interval troughout each day of the entire month, how many incidents in the column fall within the time interval.

How would I go about implementing that?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

There's probably a more DAX / Programmtic way of doing this, but I tend to be very 'logic driven' in my work..  There's always more than 1 way to solve a problem....

1. User PowerBI to Duplciate your data into 2 new columns formatting them Date (To get Date Only) and Time (To get Time Only).

2. Create the following Custom Columns outside of Query Editor:

Minutes = DATEDIFF(DATE(1899,12,30),Table1[Time ONLY],MINUTE)                          // A Test run at producing Minutes only from a TIME formatted column.

5Min_Data = INT(DATEDIFF(DATE(1899,12,30),Table1[Time ONLY],MINUTE) / 5)        // INTEGER your minutes divided by 5 to give you whole numbers to group you data by...

5Min_Time = TIME( INT([5Min_Data]*5/60), (( ([5Min_Data]*5/60)-INT([5Min_Data]*5/60))*60)  ,0)     //  Nobody wants to see '11/21/2016 60' or 11/21/2016 180' - Use this logic to rebuild a TIME format in 5 minute intervals.

3. Create your visual with 'Date Only' and '5Min_Time' stacked on the Asix.  By defult this will give you incidents by day, but you can use the drill down feature to get this report in 5 minute intervals.  (** If you don't like the drill down, you can recombine Date Only & 5 Min Time into a merged column also.. )

Thank You,

FOrrest

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

There's probably a more DAX / Programmtic way of doing this, but I tend to be very 'logic driven' in my work..  There's always more than 1 way to solve a problem....

1. User PowerBI to Duplciate your data into 2 new columns formatting them Date (To get Date Only) and Time (To get Time Only).

2. Create the following Custom Columns outside of Query Editor:

Minutes = DATEDIFF(DATE(1899,12,30),Table1[Time ONLY],MINUTE)                          // A Test run at producing Minutes only from a TIME formatted column.

5Min_Data = INT(DATEDIFF(DATE(1899,12,30),Table1[Time ONLY],MINUTE) / 5)        // INTEGER your minutes divided by 5 to give you whole numbers to group you data by...

5Min_Time = TIME( INT([5Min_Data]*5/60), (( ([5Min_Data]*5/60)-INT([5Min_Data]*5/60))*60)  ,0)     //  Nobody wants to see '11/21/2016 60' or 11/21/2016 180' - Use this logic to rebuild a TIME format in 5 minute intervals.

3. Create your visual with 'Date Only' and '5Min_Time' stacked on the Asix.  By defult this will give you incidents by day, but you can use the drill down feature to get this report in 5 minute intervals.  (** If you don't like the drill down, you can recombine Date Only & 5 Min Time into a merged column also.. )

Thank You,

FOrrest

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Thank You!

I know this is old, but i found this looking for a solution to my problem. Is there a way to modify this to work off a start_time and end_time, and to fill the 5 minute interval if it falls between a start and end time for a row entry?

To explain further, I have a cdr for a PBX, i am trying to create a 5 minute interval bar chart that shows if an agent was in a call or not during that 5 minute interval. Using the above, it only displays a bar for the 5 minute interval when the call started. I would like it to keep displaying a bar until it gets to the 5 minute interval after the call ended, and then display an empty bar for every 5 minute interval they were not in a call

Does that make sense? 

Example of the data:

Agent    Direction      start_stamp        end_stamp      duration  
Steveinbound11/10/2022 9:17 AM11/10/2022 10:17 AM3600

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best way to run a time gap for any idle time greater than 15 mins? I'm trying to look for a way to identify idle or down time. 

This was very useful!.  I know this has been posted awhile back but I need a little help.

I've changed the formula to show 15-minute increments. Data is displayed when there's data within the increment (ex. 10:00am -10:15am) but when there's no data it doesn't show the increment. 

Ex. There's no data between 10:15am-10:30am, it doesn't show if there's no data (blank) or a zero value.

imonline_0-1598463716608.png

What needs to changed to show all the 15-minute increments even if there's no data?

Thank you,

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You'll likely need a DATE Table & TIME Table (in 15 Minute Increments) to compare against, if you want to return the blank periods inbetween the data available, the '15 Minute Times' from the Time Table will need to become your Axis and a COUNT of Linked Total Calls from your Data Table as the Values (or Sum).

FOrrest

Thank You!

I've used your formula:

15Min_Data = INT(DATEDIFF(DATE(1899,12,30),Table1[Time ONLY],MINUTE) / 15) 

15Min_Time = TIME( INT([15Min_Data]*15/60), (( ([15Min_Data]*15/60)-INT([15Min_Data]*15/60))*60)  ,0) 

Put the "15Min_Time " in the axis with my (COUNT)TotalCalls as Value

I'm also using the Time Line visualization to pick the date I want.

Everything works good but it won't show any 15 min increment if there's no data.

Ex:  No data between 10:15am - 11:0 am

How can I get it to show increments with zero or no data?

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The DAX in this thread was to 'Group' random times into 15 minute increments.  Once you do that (or if your data is already in 15 minute increments to begin with you can skip those steps...) you'll need to create a 'Time-Table' of ALL Time Options Possible.  (Hopefully you are dealing with 1 Day at a Time, and not Spanning Days?)

There's CODE ways to do this, but Excel helps.  I manually enter 00:00, 00:15, 00:30, then allow Excel to COPY DOWN all the way automatically to 23:45.   Then Copy / Paste 

fhill_0-1598537425211.png

Now Create this as your 'Time Table'.

fhill_1-1598537613555.png

Now join your 15 Minute 'Times' (In Time format) to your Time:

fhill_2-1598537670350.png

** NOW ** you can use the Time_Table as your Axis, and since the data is joined together, your Values as Counts to get the Gaps you are looking for...

fhill_3-1598537716775.png

FOrrest

Thank You!

SOLVED!

Sorry it took awhile to get back.

This worked!

Thank you!

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

That is great news!  Happy to help.  Please mark the approperate reply as the solution for tracking.

Forrest

Thank You!

I'll try it and let you know if it works.

Hi @fhill 

Hoping you can help,I know its some time later. Im getting an error in my formula...

Minutes = INT(DATEDIFF(DATE(1899,12,30),RD[Start time],MINUTE) / 30)

Any reason for the red highlight ? 
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Can you post a sample of your data?  Also, what's the DAX error when you try to save this formula?

FOrrest

Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.