Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GCGradwell
Helper I
Helper I

Grouping data (rolling up)

Hi,

I am working on a very large dataset and I am making a report using Power BI. It takes a very, very long time to edit queries, load data etc and is a strain on the PC when all of this is happening.

Does PBI feature some kind of data grouping or data roll-up feature where I could condense the current table into a new table where a number of rows could be grouped into one row based on one of the columns and this would be formed into a new table.

Does anything like this exist within PBI?

Thanks,

Greg

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, power query can help you out.  Here is a good starting place: https://www.powerquery.training/portfolio/group-summarize-data/

Thanks for the suggestion. This solution accomplishes exactly what I'm looking for, but if I understand the process correctly, Power Query can only accomplish this within Excel?

The file I'm working with is very large and I will not be able to open it in Excel. Is there a way to accomplish what I want without having to import the data into Excel?

Thank you,

Greg

Hi @GCGradwell,

Take a look at the blog below:

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Using Query Parameter to filter rows based on special column should meet your requirements.

Addition reference:

Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 1

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry.  I reall meant "the piece of Power BI that would be called Power Query if we were still in 2015" 🙂   The functionality of Power Query is also in Power BI under "Edit Queries"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.