Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping by a specific column

Hi

I have a table with 17 columns. 1 of them is receipt_ID and other is sales_amount. I need to sum or group all the same receipt_id into 1 sales_amount.

For example:

receipt_IDsales_amount

I need to SUM all 11412 receipt_ID into total sales_amount which in my example would be 11 and same with 11522 which should be 9. I don't want to use query editors Group By function since I want to keep all the other columns aswell. Was thinking something in DAX.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , a simple  measure with receipt id in visual should do

sum(Table[sales_amount])

or

calculate(sum(Table[sales_amount]) , allexcept(Table, Table[receipt_id]))

a new column

sumx(filter(Table, table[receipt_id] = earlier(Table[receipt_id])) ,[sales_amount])

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

Not sure to get what you really need, but if it is just tohave the total per reciptID, just make a table and choose in drop down menu Sum instead of Do not summarize.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/power-bi/create-reports/service-aggregates

Hope this helps

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , a simple  measure with receipt id in visual should do

sum(Table[sales_amount])

or

calculate(sum(Table[sales_amount]) , allexcept(Table, Table[receipt_id]))

a new column

sumx(filter(Table, table[receipt_id] = earlier(Table[receipt_id])) ,[sales_amount])

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried with a measure now:
sum(Table[sales_amount])

and this seems to be working better but another problem is, I have 1 column with item quantity, to get the total sum I need to multiply sales_price with quantity.

Measure for my Sales Value:

SalesValue = SUM('Table'[SALES_PRICE])

Measure for my multiplication with quantity:

With quantity = SUMX('Table', [SalesValue] * ('Table'[QUANTITY]))
Result with total still a mess: ( looks like it just multiplies with total of quantity )
Q.PNG
In this receipt there are only 2 items with quantity of 1, why is the total of With quantity some random number?

EDIT: I think I can figure this out on my own, thank you for the replies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply.

I tried using:
calculate(sum(Table[sales_amount]) , allexcept(Table, Table[receipt_id],Table[date]))
and all seemed to work but when I did some checking the numbers dont add up. ( made a new table and this shows all the receipt_id's not as 1.

wut.PNG

How the heck the total is 709, also in filter i see in store level there should be 29 lines but my table only shows 20, why are the 9 hidden? If you add them all up from ( with quantity ) the total is 49,18 but PBI shows me total 709,92. Same result in the new column: calculate(sum(Table[sales_amount]) , allexcept(Table, Table[receipt_id],Table[date]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors