Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chq
Helper II
Helper II

Grouping by Column Contains?

My data looks somethng like this...

Transaction #Type CodeType(Desired Column)
121000LongLong Term
12101TheatreLong Term
121900BaseballLong Term
99104TheatreLong Term
991001Long 1Long Term
61104TheatreTheatre

Is there a way to Group where the transaction number for all rows of the column has a subcategory based on the Type to get the desired column shown above? Meaning If the Type contains Long then all Transaction #s that have a row with Long the new column categorizes that Transaction number for all rows as Long Term

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@chq , create a new column like

New column =
var _1 = countX(filter(table,[Transaction #]=earlier([Transaction #]) && [Type]="Type"),[Transaction #])
return
if(isblank(_1) || _1 =0,[Type],"Long Term")

I have Taken count of long , you have one more countx and create logic

or use in

[Type]="Long"

[Type]="Basketball"

or

[Type] in{"Long","Basketball"}

@amitchandak I am not sure I understand can you give me an example formula with that logic also applied? Thanks

@chq , Please find the link to pbix. Minor chnage in column formula

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghbeh6z55erxdtd/GroupTeam.pbix?dl=0

@amitchandak great this looks like it works correctly. Where I am confused is how would I add additional levels to this though? 

I can't have the non-designated values reflect as "Type", they will need to follow a logic  where if the new value is not Long then it becomes a different variable

For Example:

Calc = var _1 = COUNTX(FILTER(Sheet1,[Transaction #] =EARLIER([Transaction #]) && CONTAINSSTRING([Type],"Baseball")),[Transaction #])
Return if(ISBLANK(_1),[Type],"Baseball")

Would I be able to have it designate those as Baseball and if the new Calc is not Baseball and  [Type] contains Long then Cacl = Long?

@amitchandak  Would this be able to apply to multiple types, for example if it doesn't contain Long or Baseball but does contain Theatre then it equals Theatre?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.