Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

freddyford
Regular Visitor

Grouping Data like Tableau

Hello All,

I'm new to Power BI and wanted to know how to replicate a feature in tableau that groups data. (Im using Power BI and not tableau as Tableau lacks some functionality I need)

When listing data in tableau, it automatically groups the data into segments, yet in Power BI it seems to itemise each row. Is there a way to replicate Tabelau in this instance?

I've attached an image to help illustrate/

Thanks

PBI and TB.jpgChris

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @freddyford

This feature is also available in PowerBi, you need to select Matrix visual instead of Table and in the format pane you need to off steeped layout option.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @freddyford,

As per my understanding you can't group the data in case of a table in power bi.

Instead you can use a matrix that will help group the data as per your need. 

Assume, In case of two columns namely Category and Material. Add them to the Columns and Expand all down one level and then Switch off Stepped layout in the matrix visual "Row Headers"

See the screenshot below for the same

matrix.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @freddyford,

As per my understanding you can't group the data in case of a table in power bi.

Instead you can use a matrix that will help group the data as per your need. 

Assume, In case of two columns namely Category and Material. Add them to the Columns and Expand all down one level and then Switch off Stepped layout in the matrix visual "Row Headers"

See the screenshot below for the same

matrix.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @freddyford

This feature is also available in PowerBi, you need to select Matrix visual instead of Table and in the format pane you need to off steeped layout option.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.