Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grouping Bug

I'm having a weird issue where I make changes to groups and they revert after a few minutes. Names for groups change back, items I had removed from a group re-add themselves. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm running the December release of Desktop. 

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Can you please share more detail information to help us clarify your scenario? It is hard to troubleshooting without any detail information.

BTW, If your data contains too much sensitive information, you can extract the core fields and replace sensitive records with dummy values. After these steps, you can share the sample file with similar structure and dummy data for test

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I can explain this issue more clearly. 

I created a Power BI Group for my range of accounts. 

After saving and publishing the file user came back with a modification to the accounts associated to that group. 
Hence i went to Edit the group, made the respective changes, and viola it worked. My matrix showed up with the newly added group and the newly added accounts in existing groups. 

However when i went to edit that group again i was unable to find these changes/ edits i had made above. I could see them on the report screen but they were not present in the Grouping window pop up. This was frustrating as i had to make the changes again and again. I beleive that the bug would be that it doesn't store the values of the newly added groups in it permenently after it was initially created. 

I hope my explaination was helpful. If not just try to edit the groups after creating them and publishing the file. 

Thanks in advance!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is what was happening. I eventually resorted to deleting the entire grouping category I had created and starting over. That seemed the only way to get around whatever the issue was. It was as if the group category itself had become corrupted, 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup I did the same. There is not much documentation on how the power bi groups are different from a Calculated column. Because before they added the grouping functionality this grouping could be achieved with calculated columns. 
Microsoft really needs to share more for developers on their docs pages. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example. If possible please share a sample pbix file after removing sensitive information.
Thanks.

My Recent Blog -
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-wi...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I have far too much HIPAA protected information to clean it out properly. Let me sort of diagram it.

I have items A, B, and C in group Z. I remove item A from Group Z. I'll look again a few minutes later, and item A has returned to group Z. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.