Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rewn

Grouped column quandry

Hi,

Note that i'm a TOTAL novice here.

I have a spreadsheet that I use a MDS Connection to populate data in Power BI Desktop.

The data format is as such :

Description | Case Number | Date Received | Date Completed

Now i'm looking at created at a clustered chart that shows:

x Date received     o Date completed

|

|

Number of cases |

|

|

|

|

|__________________________________________________

Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May  Jun Jul   Aug Sep

And for each month show the number of cases recieved in that month against number completed (side by side not stacked).

I've looked at GROUPBY but I can't quite get there. I have a few measures (number of cases etc) but i'm not sure what i shoul dbe doing.

I don't think this should be TOO hard to get right, but it may be ?!

Grateful for any lead to me going.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you have continuous calendar table (date dimension) in your data model? if not you need to add one, here is the link for reference on how to create one.

Set relationship on date received and date completed with your calendare table, you need to add two measure to for receive and completed count, use date from calendar table on your x axis and these two new measures on value.

let me know if you need further information.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rewn

No hints to get me going forward ?!

Do you have continuous calendar table (date dimension) in your data model? if not you need to add one, here is the link for reference on how to create one.

Set relationship on date received and date completed with your calendare table, you need to add two measure to for receive and completed count, use date from calendar table on your x axis and these two new measures on value.

let me know if you need further information.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

No I don't.... and reading that, i think thats why i may be stuck. Will have a play and let you know.

Thanks!

Sounds good @rewn, feel free to reach if need further assisance. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.