Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Newbie123

Groupby on calculated column

I have two tables: one table has columns that show:

• a QuestionID (unique to the question)
  • an AnswerID (unique to the respondent) and
  • a ChosenAnswerSequence# (that reflects the actual answer the person chose from a select answer set. This is displayed as a number in the table, but the answer is actually text-based).  

The second table has columns that show:

• the Question ID,
  • a PossibleAnswerSequence# (that reflects the various answer options that are associated with the questions as the question may or may not have multiple answers. This is displayed as a number, but the answer is actually text-based) 
  • the corresponding text-based answer to the PossibleAnswerSequence# .

On the report I want to generate, I want to put the respondent's text-based answers on the same row/line as the question.

I have successfully created a calculated column that does a lookupvalue function to bring the chosen text-based answers into the first table. I can also successfully do a query that allows me to combine multiple rows into one value (by using Groupby as well as a custom column formula of =Table.Column([MulticheckboxAnswersGrouped], "Sequence"). However, the glitch is that I can only do the query/custom column if it's the ChosenAnswerSequence# from the first table...I am unable to do this second step with the text-based answers from the calculated column. Are you not able to use the group by function using the results from a calculated column?

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Newbie123

In this scenario, each respondent may have multiple selection on a question, to have them appear on same row along with question, you need to use CONCATENATEX() function to concatenate all answers into single string.

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    CONCATENATEX ( Table, Table[Text_BasedAnswer], "," ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[AnswerID] )
)

Regards,

Thanks for the reply, but I get an error saying that the syntax is incorrect. This is what I have written:

Measure = CALCULATE (CONCATENATEX (DFMAnswer_MultipleCheckbox, DFMAnswer_MultipleCheckbox[CheckboxTextAnswer] ","), ALLEXCEPT (DFMAnswer_MultipleCheckbox, DFMAnswer_MultipleCheckbox[AnswerId]))

@Newbie123

You miss a comma before delimiter in CONCATENATEX() function.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.