Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Group, sum, and compare

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to determine whether or not a user has completed their online training plan. In the table below you will see two users who have 4 courses, some online some classroom that comprises their overall training plan. In order to figure out what their online training plan, I'd need to filter the course type by "online" and also filter required by "1" because "0" indicates optional. The desired result to be able to show 2 cards: 1 that displays the # of users who have actually completed their training plan, 1 that displays the # of users who were planned to have completed their training plan.

With the data below, those cards would show 1 (User ZZZZ completed all of their required, online training) over 2 (the total number of users being considered. The logic I've come up with, hence the title of the post, is as follows:

• Filter by "course type = online" and "required = 1"
  • Group by username
  • Sum the the completed
  • Sum the required
  • Compare completed and required
    • If these match, then the user has completed their training plan, else they have not

I feel like I've tried it all, but haven't been able to get anything to work. Can you all assist?

UsernameCourse TypeCompletedRequired
ZZZZClassroom01
ZZZZOnline00
ZZZZOnline11
ZZZZOnline11
XXXXOnline10
XXXXOnline11
XXXXClassroom11
XXXXOnline01
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Perfect, here are dax formulas for you:

1st - add measure for total required

Total Required = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Required]), Filter(Table2, Table2[Course Type] = "Online"))

2nd - add measure for total completed

Total Completed = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Completed]), FILTER(Table2, Table2[Course Type] = "Online" && Table2[Required] = 1))

3rd - add measure to check if completed

Is Completed = 
var isCompleted = [Total Required] - [Total Completed]
return if(isCompleted=0, UNICHAR(10003), UNICHAR(215))

Add fields to a table visual and filter visual or page by course type and select "online"

exam.PNG

and you will get the result.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k & @Zubair_Muhammad

I've realized that I need to create a column in order to calculate the number of users who have completed their training plan. How would I achieve the column entitled "Training Plan Completed?"?

UsernameCourse TypeCompletedRequiredTraining Plan Completed?
ZZZZClassroom011
ZZZZOnline001
ZZZZOnline111
ZZZZOnline111
XXXXOnline100
XXXXOnline110
XXXXClassroom110
XXXXOnline010

With the solutions you have provided I think I'm close. Would love to hear what your ideas/solutions are.

Hi @Anonymous

With the same conditions you specified in the first post, I believe you can use this measure to count the number of users completed their plan. (Without the need to add a separate column)

Measure =
COUNTROWS (
    FILTER (
        SUMMARIZE (
            FILTER (
                TableName,
                TableName[Course Type] = "Online"
                    && TableName[Required] = 1
            ),
            TableName[Username],
            TableName[Course Type],
            "Total Completed", SUM ( TableName[Completed] ),
            "Total Required", SUM ( TableName[Required] )
        ),
        [Total Completed] = [Total Required]
    )
)

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zubair_Muhammad 

I believe this worked! Do you know how I could retrieve the username of the users to validate whether or not the logic worked?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous

Is this the result you are looking for?

exam.PNG

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k - Thanks for the response!

This is exactly what I'm looking for. How did you do it?

Perfect, here are dax formulas for you:

1st - add measure for total required

Total Required = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Required]), Filter(Table2, Table2[Course Type] = "Online"))

2nd - add measure for total completed

Total Completed = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Completed]), FILTER(Table2, Table2[Course Type] = "Online" && Table2[Required] = 1))

3rd - add measure to check if completed

Is Completed = 
var isCompleted = [Total Required] - [Total Completed]
return if(isCompleted=0, UNICHAR(10003), UNICHAR(215))

Add fields to a table visual and filter visual or page by course type and select "online"

exam.PNG

and you will get the result.

Although there are other ways to do it as well, without creating measures  but I prefer this way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k - Thanks again for the solution.

If I want to display the count of the users who have completed their training plan versus those who have not completed their training plan, how would I go about doing that?

What I'm looking to do is to have 3 cards:

# of users who completed training plan --> 1

# of users who have not completed training plan --> 2

% of users who have completed training plan --> 50%

Basically, I want to count the number of checks and divide that by the sum of checks and x's.

Recommended way would be if you have another tables with users, if not, it can be easily created in powerbi

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have another table with users, but I'm not sure how to apply the measures you've provided me to the list of users that I have.

Good solution by @parry2k

Just another way of doing this

Go to modelling tab and create new table with this formula

NewTable =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    SUMMARIZE (
        FILTER (
            TableName,
            TableName[Course Type] = "Online"
                && TableName[Required] = 1
        ),
        TableName[Username],
        TableName[Course Type],
        "Total Completed", SUM ( TableName[Completed] ),
        "Total Required", SUM ( TableName[Required] )
    ),
    "Is Completed",
    VAR isCompleted = [Total Required] - [Total Completed]
    RETURN
        IF ( isCompleted = 0, UNICHAR ( 10003 ), UNICHAR ( 215 ) )
)

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.