Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ShootingBlanks

Group column values, get a total/count of each one, then visualize in a pie chart

Hello.  I'm new to Power BI, so this may be a basic question (although I have googled around and checked the forum before making this post)...

I have a column of data with four values - let's call them V1, V2, V3, and V4.  So, the column may look like:

V1

V4

V2

V1

V2

V3

V1

V1

I just want to get the percentage of the appearance of each of those put into a pie chart.  So, in the example above, there would be a pie chart with V1 taking up 50% (4/8 entries), V2 taking up 25% (2/8 entries), and V3/V4 taking up 12.5% each (1/8 entries each).

I've only used the WYSIWYG interface of Power BI and haven't messed with scripting yet, but I do have a programming background, so if that is what this solution involves, that should be fine.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ShootingBlanks

Hi my friend. 

Please follow the steps showed in the below image.

Pie.gif

Victor Velarde

Lima-Peru

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @ShootingBlanks,

If you want this in a PieChart just add the column with the V1, V2 and so on to the values of the pie chart and choose option count and also add that column to the legend and that will give the expect result and then.in the options you can choose if.you show values percents in the labels.

Regards,MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ShootingBlanks

Hi my friend. 

Please follow the steps showed in the below image.

Pie.gif

Victor Velarde

Lima-Peru

Lima - Peru

@Vvelarde

Thank you for probably the quickest and most comprehensive/visual/easy-to-understand accurate response I've ever received on a support forum...very much appreciated! Smiley Very Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.