Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SimonGrams
Helper I
Helper I

Group-Comparisons of different time periods in one data source

Hello,

my data base contains different weeks, which are split into different countries and some other segments.

I try to build a view where I can compare different week-periods (which I can choose by filter) by the same segment-filters.

What have I done so far?

To compare different week-periods I duplicated my data base. Now I have 2 independent week-filters, where I can choose different week-periods. The revenue of these week-periods are displayed/compared in a bar-chart.

What is my problem?

I need to be able to choose some other filters which are applied to both data bases (country, device, etc). To do so I created bridging tables, but it is not possible to create relationships between these bridging tables and my 2 data bases...

Is there any other possibility to compare different week-periods?

I know it is not possible, but I need something like - choose filter of week-measure ---> revenue of week-measure is displayed. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Simon,

One way to get the output you are looking for would be to have a table with the distinct week numbers and relate to the week field on the Data table, set up as

Relationships 02022016.PNG

and have two measures one for the current week numbers revenues:

current=CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]),ALL(Comparable[CompareToWeek])) 

and the other measure for the Comparable week:

comparable=CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]),ALL(Table1[Week]),USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[Week],Comparable[CompareToWeek]))

Then use these measures in the visualization

viz 02022016.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SimonGrams,

Could you please share sample data of your tales and post expected result here?

Also we need to know what is the error message you get when creating relationships between bridging tables and two databases.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

The data looks like this:

Data.JPG

Relationships:

Relationships.JPG

Desired Output:

Viz.JPG

---> Week-Filters are from the original and duplicated database and should be independent

---> Device, Country & Category Filters should influence both databases (field from bridging tables)

---> Viz should compare Revenue from original vs. duplicated database (week-period I vs week-period II)

The first relationship between a bridging table (here: LookUp_Country) and the 2 data bases works.

Error from trying to activate the other relationships (here: Data_Duplicate & LookUp_Category):

It's not possible to create a direct relationship between 'Data_Duplicate' and 'LookUp_Category', because this would lead to an ambiguousness between the tables 'LookUp_Category' and 'LookUp_Country'.

If I create another bridging table which includes all combinations there is the error of missing distinct values...

Edit: In this example I forgot the "Web"-Filter from the data bases - which should be a filter in the desired output as well (like country, category, device).

Hi Simon,

One way to get the output you are looking for would be to have a table with the distinct week numbers and relate to the week field on the Data table, set up as

Relationships 02022016.PNG

and have two measures one for the current week numbers revenues:

current=CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]),ALL(Comparable[CompareToWeek])) 

and the other measure for the Comparable week:

comparable=CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Revenue]),ALL(Table1[Week]),USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[Week],Comparable[CompareToWeek]))

Then use these measures in the visualization

viz 02022016.PNG

Hi @MarkS,

awesome! Works perfect. Thank you very much

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.