Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sagadgreat
Helper I
Helper I

Gross Profit when COGS not available

So I'm hoping this is not a unique problem.  My company only pulls actual COG data every Wednesday due to Oracle limitations.  Therefore, we would use extended shipment cost in place of COGS for dates when the information is not available.  HIstorically, this meant you would only get margin information after COGS is updated, but we would like to have something that updates daily.  

In the below, I am using a formula to calculate "21 Prf Cost" which is IF(COGS = blank(), Extended Cost, COGS).  I then have a Gross Profit calculation that is 21 Prf Cost/Net Sales. 

The issue as you can see below is that while it works at the line levels, it does not apply to the total properly and therefore skews what should be closer to a 42% margin, making it a 72.89% total.  The highlighted shows that both COGS and the Prf Cost lines are the same, even though the Extended Cost figures are carried over to Prf Cost properly.    

How do I get BI to not only replace the value of COGS with Extend Cost, but also add it to the totals to do the proper calculation?  Thanks in advance, this community is awesome!! 

sagadgreat_0-1613489379708.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sagadgreat change your measure

21 Prf Cost = 
SUMX ( VALUES ( Datetable[Date] ), 
IF([COGS]==BLANK(), [Extended Cost], [COGS])
)

I assumed all these are measures:

Check my latest blog post Improve UX: Show Year in Legend When Using Time Intelligence Measures | PeryTUS IT Solutions  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sagadgreat change your measure

21 Prf Cost = 
SUMX ( VALUES ( Datetable[Date] ), 
IF([COGS]==BLANK(), [Extended Cost], [COGS])
)

I assumed all these are measures:

Check my latest blog post Improve UX: Show Year in Legend When Using Time Intelligence Measures | PeryTUS IT Solutions  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.