Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Raewynd123
Regular Visitor

Graphing data in month/month no order

Hi,

I am very new to this community and working my way through all the guided learning and have a couple of questions about producing graphs in Month order.

When I sort my graph on Month No. to get it into Month order - it doesnt work - it comes up like this....

graph sorted by month no.PNG

so then I asked a question in Q&A to see if I could work out what was going on with the Month no format which is currently set to 'Whole Number', and it did this....

table sorted by month no.PNG

am I correct in thinking that it has to do with the format of Month no? and if so, what should it be, because I've tried nearly all of them with no success.

A LOT of the reporting I have to do is dependent on Month and year order so this is really important for me to resolve.

Looking forward to any help you can offer.

Rae 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Raewynd123,

I just recreate the chart like yours without doing anything else on the pbix file you shared with me, and the Month orders correctly.

recreate.PNG

Could you try recreating a new chart to see if the Month orders correctly? Here is the pbix file I used for test.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Not sure if you're using a Date table, but the month number associated with the month name should be a number (whole)

You can set this in the data model, and selecting the month number column

Then in the report view, select the month name, and select to sort by month number

There are many posts on this subject

Hope this helps 

Hi blopez11 - thanks for your response.

I've tried all that and its still not working.  I think I've missed something along the way.  will keep looking for the solution.

Have a great day 🙂

Hi @Raewynd123,

If you have done the steps blopez11 mentioned above, then month should order correctly.

monthno.PNG

month.PNG

report.PNG

Could you share a pbix file which can reproduce the issue in your case? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and sent me the link in private message. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi JerryLi,

thanks so much for looking at this.  I have tried all sorts of things to get it to work, with no success.

Link to my data

Regards

Rae 🙂

Hi @Raewynd123,

I just recreate the chart like yours without doing anything else on the pbix file you shared with me, and the Month orders correctly.

recreate.PNG

Could you try recreating a new chart to see if the Month orders correctly? Here is the pbix file I used for test.

Regards

Hi JerryLi,

what I just realised is that when I am creating views that need to be in date order - I have to drag the date field (in this case the Month) out onto the canvas first.... and then it graphs it in Month order.

Rookie mistake I guess 🙂

Thanks so much for your willingness to help - I really appreciate it. 

Rae 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.