Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

knotpc
Advocate I
Advocate I

Graphing Temperature Changes Overtime

Hello,

I have a CSV that has MM/DD/YY HH:MM:SS and Temperature in decimal format. I have linked the CSV with Power BI Desktop. I am able to get the system to display the correct Date. In Data Modeling I have changed Default Summarization: Don't Summarize for the Temperature values. 

The issue I have is that when I graph using Line Chart, Power BI is automatically summarizing all of the temperature values, which is not what I need it to do. What I am wanting to do is graph out temperature changes over time by HH:MM:SS.

Temperature averaged by day.Temperature averaged by day.

Below is a snap shot of what the data looks like in Power BI. 

Temperature by DD HH:MM:SSTemperature by DD HH:MM:SS

As you can see the temperature is being recorded 10 seconds. I want to graph each temperature change. So how can I either force PowerBI to stop summarizing OR is there a different chart type that is better suited for this application? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Xi Jin, 

The proposed solution does not work when you span days as PowerBI does not appear to be able to handle the DATE + Time when they are separated in the source data. To make the graph work, I combined the DATE + TIME in the source data to ONE field. After that, the graphing worked as desired. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @knotpc,

The aggregate function in Values is by design.

In your scenario, since you only use the Month Days as Axis for line chart and there exists duplicate Month Days like 2/22/2018 in the sample data. It also means that you are graphing temperature change based on each Month Days group. And for sure, to display temperature of each Month Days group, we should sum all the values for each group. So your line chart is right.

Then to achieve your requirement which is graphing each temperature change. You just need to change the Axis to Time column or be more precise change it to Datetime column. Make sure that there will not exist duplicate Axis values and SUM means nothing.

Something like:

111.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Xi Jin, 

The proposed solution does not work when you span days as PowerBI does not appear to be able to handle the DATE + Time when they are separated in the source data. To make the graph work, I combined the DATE + TIME in the source data to ONE field. After that, the graphing worked as desired. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors