Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DannyPhillips
Regular Visitor

Graphing Calculated Sums

I have data that essentially looks like this:

Company_LabelProduct_LabelCOUNT
John's ApplesRed Delicious1
John's ApplesHoneycrisp1
Industry TotalRed Delicious1
Industry TotalHoneycrisp1
Industry TotalHoneycrisp1

The apples that the company "John's Apples" sells get reported listed under John's Apples, but also as part of the industry total (essentially the first 4 rows are the 2 apples that John's Apples sold).  I want to create a market share chart for John's Apples, but if I create it as is, the numbers will be skewed as it will show John's Apples vs. Industry Total (2 of 😎 instead of John's Apples vs. Everyone Else (2 of 6).  In excel, I could create a simple calculated item in a PivotTable and chart that, but I can't figure out how to do it in Power BI. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

You could try below measure

Measure =
IF (
    MIN ( t1[Company_Label] ) = "John's Apples",
    CALCULATE ( COUNT ( t1[Company_Label] ), t1[Company_Label] = "John's Apples" ),
    COUNT ( t1[Company_Label] )
        - CALCULATE ( COUNT ( t1[Company_Label] ), t1[Company_Label] = "John's Apples" )
)

80.PNG

Best Regards,

Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi DannyPhillips,

In your scenario, you said you want to get John's Apples vs. Everyone Else (2 of 6), what did you mean of “everyone”? Did you want to get John's Apples vs. Industry Total(2:6)? If so, you could just create measure Measure 3 = COUNT(sharechart[Product_Label]), it will return result like below

38.png

If this is not what you want, could you please inform me in details(such as your expecting output and your detailed sample data)? Then I will help you more correctly.

Best Regards,

Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the response, the issue is that your example table shows a grand total of 8, but the industry total is already the grand total.  What I really would like is to be able to chart the results like this:

Pie Chart.JPG 

but I don't have a "competitor" company label, I just know it is the sum of industry total minus the sum of John's Apples. I would also like a simple table like this:

Table.JPG

but I'm unsure of how to create that.

Hi,

You could try below measure

Measure =
IF (
    CALCULATE ( COUNT ( t1[Company_Label] ), t1[Company_Label] = "John's Apples" ),
    COUNT ( t1[Company_Label] )
        - CALCULATE ( COUNT ( t1[Company_Label] ), t1[Company_Label] = "John's Apples" )
)

80.PNG

Best Regards,

Zoe Zhi

Thank you so much for the solution!  I changed it to the below to accomodate if the count was ever more than 1. This appears to be working.

Measure =

IF (

CALCULATE ( SUM ( t1[COUNT] ), t1[Company_Label] = "John's Apples" ),

SUM ( t1[COUNT] )

- CALCULATE ( SUM ( t1[COUNT] ), t1[Company_Label] = "John's Apples" )

)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.