Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mike_Mace
Resolver I
Resolver I

Graph with 2 curves Problem

I am showing data planned versus actual on same curve. I have created a relationship between the planned dates and the actual dates in order for BI to show both curves on same graph.

Problem is the data on second curve looks filtered (doesnt start from first) and is linear. The same curve when I graph on its own shows as normal curve. Help? Snips follow. I need to show both curves on same graph.

Snip 1: shows the graph as explained above

Snip 2: shows the graph on another power bi file that i have and works fine - There must be something i am doing wrong on the new power bi file (?)

snip 1.JPGsnip 2.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mike_Mace ,

Could you please share your sample data and expected result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to OneDrive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-eachen-msft , thanks for suggesting data share. It feels like the right way forward. 

Trust wetransfer works just as well. Link 

https://we.tl/t-Iy80wAa1Ti

The download includes two different cases. One that seems to be working fine and one that is not there yet albeit having copied the same process.

Data 1 - working

Spreadsheet has Baseline date column (planned), and Date Issued column (actual) and then these are counted as 0 or 1 on subsequent columns. Each row is linked to a deliverable which is not included on spreadsheet. I am not using the deliverables names on BI at all.

My first step was to create a cumulative (or running) column for Planned and Actual deliverables. You can see DAX code in snips.

Notice that planned date is different to actual date. Plotting graphs allows for 1 set of dates on axes which I used Baseline (planned)

To avoid having Actual deliverables linked to Baseline dates, I uploaded the spreadsheet on BI twice and I created a relationship between Baseline dates and Date Issued dates. You can see on snip. 

If you check the "graph snip" you can see how neatly Planned VS Actual are graphed on Baseline date axis. Both are graphed on Baseline axis but keep in mind that cumulative actual DAX code was written on Date issued dates. The numbers and dates on final graph are correct, I've checked. That's thanks to the relationship

Fast forward to Case 2 where i copied the process from case 1 the two graphs do not show as neatly. Notice the solo green graph on "graph(s) snip" with Date Issued dates on the axis. That is how the graph ought to show. If I include the Actual data on the baseline dates to show together with Planned  the data doesnt show a curve anymore. It shows a line from 9 to 29. Why does in not create a curve to show the full data 2, 4, 9, 10, 20, 24, 26, 29.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Check the property Join type, Line Style and Stepped and make them same

that hasnt worked unfortunately

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.