Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

coxy

Graph showing popular times

Hi everyone,

Very much a newbie to PowerBI so apologies if this is a silly question.  I have a large dataset which shows meeting room bookings for the year to date.  This includes seperate fields for the start time and then end time of each meeting.  I'd like to produce a graph showing the most popular time of day for meetings so that users have a high level view of when they would be most likely to obtain a meeting room.  Sadly I've no idea how to actually do this!  Is anyone able to set me on the right path please?

3 REPLIES 3
mparowski
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm curious where this dataset came from.  I'm trying to do a similar analysis in my organization, where meeting rooms are tracked in Office 365, and it seems like it is difficult to get this sort of information out of the system.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@coxy

I think you can first create another table which includes all the working minutes. Then we can create a new calculated column in this table which counts the used meeting rooms.

I’ve uploaded my .pbix file here for reference. Please refer to following steps for details.

I assume we have an original table as below. We can use the function of split column in Query Editor to split the columns of Start Time and End Time.

Graph showing popular times_2.jpg

In another working minutes table, we can create a column with following DAX formula.

Count = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( Table1 ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Table1 ),
        Table1[Start Time.2] <= Table2[Time.2]
            && Table1[End Time.2] >= Table2[Time.2]
    )
)

Graph showing popular times_4.jpg

At last, drag the stacked area chart into your canvas as below.

Graph showing popular times_5.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Start a Table Visual template

Drag the Start Time field from the Field pane into the Visualization Pane Values field

....that will create a list of all start times

Repeat - this part is not intuitive - Drag the Start Time field a second time right on top of the first....and now you'll have the same column twice.

Then in the second field, in the Visualizations Pane - use its drop down to select Count

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.