Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JGABRIEL

Graph revenue by month without grouping years

I am new to PowerBI and trying to create a simple graph to show revenue vs. month including year. My months seem to get groups reguardless of year, so that Jan 2018 and Jan 2019 all fall to on point on the graph. How can I separate? If I add Year to the hierarchy it gives me wonky results.

graph.JPG

If I don't use the hierarchy, individual dates are graphed instead of totals by month.graph2.JPG

Any suggestion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JGABRIEL,

when having several columns in a table you have some difficulty to sort especcially the text column as is the current situation.

Add a new colum with the following formula:

SortMonth = Format (Table[Date]; "YYYYMM")

Then configure this column and Number and after that select the Year_Month column and sort it by this new column should work see below the steps:

Order.gif

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @JGABRIEL,

Create a new column with the following formula:

Year _ Month = Format (Table[Date]; "yy - mmm")

Then use this colum to place on your axis.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks - that got me really close! Now how do I sort the chart chronologically? Dec 2017 is after Apr 2018, but before Feb 2018?

graph3.JPG

Hi @JGABRIEL,

when having several columns in a table you have some difficulty to sort especcially the text column as is the current situation.

Add a new colum with the following formula:

SortMonth = Format (Table[Date]; "YYYYMM")

Then configure this column and Number and after that select the Year_Month column and sort it by this new column should work see below the steps:

Order.gif

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

I'm seeing this (type of) question a lot on the forums and always the answer seems something like 'you need to create a new yyyy mm column for this'.

This bazzles me, because I can't imagine that PowerBI can't do such a simple thing on it's own. Date by definition should be totally flexible. In a lot (if not most) cases, users would want to graph data that spans over multiple years by year AND month 'coninuously' and not just see 12 months and have all the months of every year aggregated. 

How can this not be a simple setting in the report itself?

Hi @Chris64,

Power BI is versatil in using this based on the date and Hierarchy, however in most of the cases that I have answer to question here and this is the case the formatting is divergent from what people want, and in that sense there is a need to make some additional columns to your calendar table. 

The languange options are very tricky because they depend not only on the PBI settings but also computer settings.

As you can see below adding the date column to a line chart with the hierarchy and making a drill dow is possible to have multiple years and months in the correct way.

datedrilldown.gif

In this case by the way the result was presented the best solution was to make an additional column. It all depend on your setup and the way you also setup your charts.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi MFelix,

That is exactly what I meant! Somehow, this 'feature' seems a bit hidden in Power BI, since when I have the chart displaying years (highest level of hierarchie), it shows the x-axis categorical by default.  If I then switch to 'continuous' and  press on image.png 

it somehow switches back to 'categorical', however I can't change this on the X-axis settings, since now that setting has disappeared.

Anyway, by just clicking on image.png it still isn't showing that setting on the X-axis settings, but it does show the dates in continuous order. So in the end I have what I need (without having to add a new column)  🙂

Thanks!

Hi @Chris64,

working with PBI for 3 years already I can see whant you mean by having the feature "hidden", however as I said in most of the cases that I have suggested a new column is related with the format people want the data, sometimes without having to use the hierarchy, or something similar.

Glad I have help you to clarify this.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.