Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ebeauchamp
Helper I
Helper I

Graph of monthly returning, lost and new customers, and table of who they are and their sales

Hi, I've been working on attrition measures for a while now, but have not yet found a post or example that would achieve this on a same report page:
- A graph showing, for each month over a year, three bars:
   a) The number of returning customers, eg. who were purchasing last month and are this month too
   b) The number of new customers, eg. who were not purchasing last month, but started this month
   c) The number of lost customers, negative number, eg. who were purchasing last month but not this month

- On the same report page, clicking one of the above bars would filter another table that lists the customer IDs and their respective sales numbers (or lost sales), for the month corresponding to the selected bar.

In essence, it is similar to what is found here:
https://blog.enterprisedna.co/analyze-who-your-lost-customers-are-using-power-bi-dax/

But with the ability to analyze the returning and new customers, in addition to the lost ones. Does it seem like possible or too complex of a challenge? It seems like the dna example does have the ability to toggle between Lost and New customers, which already would be great, but since the demo does not cover it, I can't seem to figure out out how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ebeauchamp ,

I created a simple table as example:

v-kelly-msft_0-1608888911292.png

First create a slice month table that you could dynamically see the changes between months:

slicer table = VALUES('Table'[Month])

Then create 6 measures as below;

Flag_The number of lost customers = 
var lastmonth=SELECTEDVALUE('slicer table'[Month])-1
var status_lastmonth=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[is purchased]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer])&&'Table'[Month]=lastmonth))
var status_thismonth=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[is purchased]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer])&&'Table'[Month]=SELECTEDVALUE('slicer table'[Month])))
Return
IF(status_lastmonth>0&&status_thismonth=0,1,0)
Flag_The number of new customers = 
var status_lastmonth=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[is purchased]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer])&&'Table'[Month]=lastmonth))
var status_thismonth=CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[is purchased]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer]=MAX('Table'[Customer])&&'Table'[Month]=SELECTEDVALUE('slicer table'[Month])))
Return
IF(status_lastmonth=0&&status_thismonth>0,1,0)
Flag_The number of returning customers = 
Return
IF(status_lastmonth>0&&status_thismonth>0,1,0)
The number of lost customers = SUMX(VALUES('Table'[Customer]),'Table'[Flag_The number of lost customers])
The number of new customers = SUMX(VALUES('Table'[Customer]),'Table'[Flag_The number of new customers])
The number of returning customers = SUMX(VALUES('Table'[Customer]),'Table'[Flag_The number of returning customers])

And you will see:

v-kelly-msft_1-1608889137327.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ebeauchamp ,

I created a simple table as example:

v-kelly-msft_0-1608888911292.png

First create a slice month table that you could dynamically see the changes between months:

slicer table = VALUES('Table'[Month])

Then create 6 measures as below;

Flag_The number of lost customers = 
Return
IF(status_lastmonth>0&&status_thismonth=0,1,0)
Flag_The number of new customers = 
Return
IF(status_lastmonth=0&&status_thismonth>0,1,0)
Flag_The number of returning customers = 
Return
IF(status_lastmonth>0&&status_thismonth>0,1,0)
The number of lost customers = SUMX(VALUES('Table'[Customer]),'Table'[Flag_The number of lost customers])
The number of new customers = SUMX(VALUES('Table'[Customer]),'Table'[Flag_The number of new customers])
The number of returning customers = SUMX(VALUES('Table'[Customer]),'Table'[Flag_The number of returning customers])

And you will see:

v-kelly-msft_1-1608889137327.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If you can share your pbix (or a mock up of similar) through a link to Google Drive, OneDrive, etc., specific measures can be proposed.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

This could all be done except the part about filtering on just one of the bars in the clustered column chart.  That click would select the YearMonth not just those customers.  However, you could use conditional formatting in the table below (or a disconnected table/slicer) to highlight new/lost/repeat.  You would just need to create a measure with two variable (current month and previous month sales) and then do AND(ISBLANK(... kind of logic to tell which type of customer they are and return the right label, number, and/or color.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks Pat. Any suggestions regarding the types of Lost/New/Returning measures that would work best to achieve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.