Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grant/Deny Access to Specific Reports in Workspace

Is there a way to grant/deny access to specific users / roles by individual Reports in a workspace? Some members of a workspace need access to Report A, while others need access to Report B, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, we are doing this right now. In one example there are only 3 owners of the workspace and about 6 or 7 reports. One of the reports has about 20 people with read access but they do not see the other reports. So, in your workspace, navigate to your report and click the "Share" in the upper right. That's it. Those users will be able to see that report but not the other reports in the workspace. If you add them to the workspace, then they can see all the reports in that workspace.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Within a workspace, you can share out an individual report within the workspace to specific users. They have access to that report and that report only within the workspace. But, they cannot be members of the workspace.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler,
Thanks. How do you add users to a specific report, without also adding them to the workspace? I thought users had to be added to the workspace to see any report in that workspace?

Jonathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a very good question that MS don't seem to feel they need to explain clearly. Not like security is important or anything 

No, we are doing this right now. In one example there are only 3 owners of the workspace and about 6 or 7 reports. One of the reports has about 20 people with read access but they do not see the other reports. So, in your workspace, navigate to your report and click the "Share" in the upper right. That's it. Those users will be able to see that report but not the other reports in the workspace. If you add them to the workspace, then they can see all the reports in that workspace.

Latest book!:

When we share report , do they have edit access? if not how can we give edit access to single report in a workspace?

Thanks .

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler, Good to know.

Thanks.

Atlsql
Frequent Visitor

Two options I can think of:

1.  Use RLS to ensure that people that shouldn't view reports, meet with a blank data set when attempting to view the reports they aren't supposed to.

2.  Alternatively, you could also create a series of Aps and grant permissions on the Ap, instead of on the Workspace to allow the required users to see the required reports.   You'd have to be selective 

(As I think about it option 2 is probably easier, if you have the luxury of preventing access to the Workspace).

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Atlsql,

Thanks. I like #1, even thought it might be a minor pain to add a generic "admin" role and grant those that should have access to the report to it and leave the others in the workspace, but out of the role...so they'd see a blank report...I guess I was just hoping for a way to hide the report from them completely...rather than just encounter a blank one, perhaps that was your point in #2, but I haven't worked with Apps at all..

Jonathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.