Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pastrupgaard
Helper I
Helper I

Grand total wrong when using =IF formula

Hey guys. I’m new to Power BI and I’ve encountered a problem I can’t seem to fix. I’m not at liberty to post the actual numbers or a picture of the connections (everything should be connected though). I’ve got two different databases, which I’m pulling numbers from (see picture).

problem.png

I got the following variables:

Tables:
Actual = revenue secured
Forecast = forecast

Measure:
Estimate  = actual for the secured months and then forecast for the following months.

Formula for Estimate:
Estimate ($) = (if(sum(f_sales_forecast[Forecast])=0;sum(f_sales[Actual]);sum(f_sales_forecast[Forecast])))

The grand total only counts the forecasted period (49), and ignores the rest of the numbers that comes from Actual (100). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GregoryMartin
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Pastrupgaard

It seems you forgot a part in your formula. You wrote this one:

Estimate ($) = (if(sum(f_sales_forecast[Forecast])=0;sum(f_sales[Actual]);sum(f_sales_forecast[Forecast])))

But if you want the sum of Actual + Forcast, you should write something like:

Estimate ($) = (if(sum(f_sales_forecast[Forecast])=0;sum(f_sales[Actual]);sum(f_sales_forecast[Forecast])+sum(f_sales[Actual])))

and it will give you your Grand Total

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BeemsC
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hello,

I recreated this using a simpler table, and i think you are not supposed to use sum on every step.
I got it working using the following formula:

Estimate = IF(Table2[Forecast] = 0;Table2[Actual];Table2[Forecast])

Make sure you change the table names.
If it doesn't work for you, or if you have any questions please ask.

Good luck

Hi @BeemsC

If i don't use the sum function I can't select the Tables for some reason.

sum.PNG

Br
Pastrupgaard

GregoryMartin
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Pastrupgaard

It seems you forgot a part in your formula. You wrote this one:

But if you want the sum of Actual + Forcast, you should write something like:

Estimate ($) = (if(sum(f_sales_forecast[Forecast])=0;sum(f_sales[Actual]);sum(f_sales_forecast[Forecast])+sum(f_sales[Actual])))

and it will give you your Grand Total

Hey @GregoryMartin

You're totally right and that gets me a lot closer to the issue, but I forgot about the last part of the problem. So the Estimate should consist of the [actual] up until the [forcast] kicks in. What my formula does now, is take both the [actual] and the [forcast] for month 11 and 12, which gives me a wrong estimate.problem.png

Right now my grand total for Estimate is 155 and i would like it to give me 149 (10 months actual and 2 months forecast)

I hope that made sense.

Br

Pastrupgaard

Yeap,

There weren't values on the first screen for [actual] on month 11 & 12. Now you've got some. I think, if you just want the [forecast] value in that case, you may create a new column in power BI using a formula looking like the first one you did.

NewColumn = if(f_sales_forecast[Forecast]=0;f_sales[Actual];f_sales_forecast[Forecast])

You'll have then a column with values for months 1 to 12 corresponding at your wish. Now you just need for your Grand Total cell to do a sum of this column. You should now have your 149 value.

Hi @GregoryMartin

I've tried a lot of different things and the problem with creating a new column is that i have to pull data from two different databases, so the number in the column is the same all the way down through the rows. Any bright ideas :D?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.