Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sagejah9
Helper III
Helper III

Grand total Average is not accurate

Hi, It doesn't seem like measure is showing the correct average at the grand total row. I have a table with 3 rows 
the measure calculates each row in the table correctly however it doesn't calculate the average of the 3 rows. It calculates the average of unsummarized level. However the table visual is showing a summarized level and I would like it to calculate the average correctly regardless which level. 

Order NumberVarAverage of Var
o38921100%
o37921100%
o273900%
totalnot summarized90.91%, should show 66.67%

it is showing 90.91% because its calculating the average on 11 rows at the granular level. But the table is a roll up view.

This was my measure
Average of Var = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1 [Var] ))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I don't think what you looking to do is possible "directly".

It's a fundamentally different calculation as one is calculating an average for each order and then averaging them together. The other is a straight average.

You can deal with lots of stuff at different levels of hierachy using ISINSCOPE/ISFILTERED type tests however none of that helps you when you get to the total row because on the total row none of the columns you're interested in exist in the FILTER context.

The only way round I can think of doing it is having a disconnected table with two values in a grain column: "Order Grain" and "Item Grain"

You can then drop that into the visual level filter and use the following measure:

Avg at Correct Grain = 

VAR OrderGrain = 
    AVERAGEX(
        VALUES ( Table1[OrderNum] ),
        CALCULATE ( AVERAGE ( Table1[Var] ) )
    )

VAR ItemGrain = 
    AVERAGE ( Table1[Var] )

VAR SelectedGrain = SELECTEDVALUE ( GrainSelector[Grain] )

RETURN 
    IF ( 
        SelectedGrain = "Order Grain", 
        OrderGrain, 
        ItemGrain 
    )

bcdobbs_0-1643820009831.pngbcdobbs_1-1643820035199.png

(Note my demo data is different from yours)

Personally I'd normally just have two different measures for each grain.

If someone has a more elegant solution I'd be interested but based on my understanding of filter contexts I don't think there is one.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Are you able to supply a demo pbix file?

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

You can use an IF statement use HASONEFILTER to identify what grain you're working at:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

OrderNum varAverage Var %
O938341100%
O3782400%
O3792400%
O528281100%
Total 57%

should show 50% at grand total

OrderNumItem#VarAverage Var %
O9383413/32421100%
O9383413/37841100%
O9383411/13741100%
O5282833/38201100%
O3792434/472900%
O3792412/372900%
O3782411/574800%
Total  57%

@bcdobbs , I hope this helps to explain. I want the Average Var% measure to work regardless of ordernumber or itemnumber. what is shown in the visua should be calculated

Hi,

I don't think what you looking to do is possible "directly".

It's a fundamentally different calculation as one is calculating an average for each order and then averaging them together. The other is a straight average.

You can deal with lots of stuff at different levels of hierachy using ISINSCOPE/ISFILTERED type tests however none of that helps you when you get to the total row because on the total row none of the columns you're interested in exist in the FILTER context.

The only way round I can think of doing it is having a disconnected table with two values in a grain column: "Order Grain" and "Item Grain"

You can then drop that into the visual level filter and use the following measure:

Avg at Correct Grain = 

VAR OrderGrain = 
    AVERAGEX(
        VALUES ( Table1[OrderNum] ),
    )

VAR ItemGrain = 
    AVERAGE ( Table1[Var] )

VAR SelectedGrain = SELECTEDVALUE ( GrainSelector[Grain] )

RETURN 
    IF ( 
        SelectedGrain = "Order Grain", 
        OrderGrain, 
        ItemGrain 
    )

bcdobbs_0-1643820009831.pngbcdobbs_1-1643820035199.png

(Note my demo data is different from yours)

Personally I'd normally just have two different measures for each grain.

If someone has a more elegant solution I'd be interested but based on my understanding of filter contexts I don't think there is one.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

You need to do something like:

Average of Var = 
AVERAGEX(
VALUES ( Table1[Order Number] ),
)

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@bcdobbs Thanks, This works but I would like the measure to work regardless of the column. So at the granular level if I choose to see the Average of var by Items  it should work it out correctly and if I choose to see by OrderNumber which is parent in the Hierachy it should calculate correctly as well. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.