Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JMWDBA
Advocate II
Advocate II

Graduates and Registrations

So I have two tables 

1. Graduates
  2. Registrations

The table 'Graduates' has the following fields:

• Student ID Number
  • Academic Level
  • Academic Degree
  • Degree posting Date

The table 'Registrations' has the following fields:

• Student ID Number
  • Academic Level
  • Academic Degree
  • Course Term #
  • Course Subject
  • Academic Year

What I want to do is figure out how many graduates for the 2016-2017 academic year (defined by grouping all [Degree posting Dates] between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017 into a new column call academic year and with a value of "2016-2017") have courses registrations identified in the 'Registrations' table

Note in the table 'Graduates' the student ID is distinct.  In the table 'Registrations', the Student ID Number is duplicated because each row represents a unique course registration.  

I thought I could create a new table and summarize the count of registrations by student ID and then link that to the 'Graduates' table but it does not return any matches and that would be impossible for there not to be anyone that graduated between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017 to not have at least 1 course completed in that academic year. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@JMWDBA,

Better to show us the expected output. Check the DAX below first.

Table =
SUMMARIZE (
    Registrations,
    Registrations[Academic Year],
    "Count", DISTINCTCOUNT ( Registrations[Student ID] )
)
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JMWDBA
Advocate II
Advocate II

On the Summarize table from the 'registration' table this is what I created to get a count of total courses by [Student ID]

Completed Courses 2016-17 = SUMMARIZE('Registrations', 'Registrations'[Academic Year], 'Registrations'[Student ID], "Course Total", COUNTA('Registrations'[Student ID]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.