Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Governance on creating reports attached to datasets (Desktop or Service)

We have been looking at governance at enterprise level and we use dataflows in service. Create shared datasets in Pbix file and publish to Service. 

Then create reports in pbix file live connected to the Shared dataaset and publish up to service. 

All the information is stored on Sharepoint.

This seems to work well but i have noticed in the dataset hub you can create reports straight into Service over the data set. 

This is obviously a very different way to creating it in Pbix and publishing it and I will definitely be asked about our governance on this.

My question is, what are the pros and cons of developing reports in Service? I would like to ask people to stick with pbix but Ill need to have reasons to hand. otherwise there is going to be a mixture of pbix and straight into service and its going to get tricky to manage.

Any advice on this would be great

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DebbieE , While creating a report on the desktop is a bit easier, My personal preference is to create it on Service. The only issue is sometimes it does not get downloaded as pbix then there can be challenging

Like recently we did change on a published report and it was unable to download that, so it would be difficult to manage that.

So while I prefer service, I would continue to have development on the desktop unless I can directly source control files from the service.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DebbieE , While creating a report on the desktop is a bit easier, My personal preference is to create it on Service. The only issue is sometimes it does not get downloaded as pbix then there can be challenging

Like recently we did change on a published report and it was unable to download that, so it would be difficult to manage that.

So while I prefer service, I would continue to have development on the desktop unless I can directly source control files from the service.

Perfect. i can explain to them that you cant download them to pbix and therefore manage them in the usual way, and also the source control Sharepoint gives us means that they are better created in pbix. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.