Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RHAD
Regular Visitor

Gouping a list with group headers in a hierarchy

I'm using Microsoft Power BI Desktop. I want to create a simple report that uses grouping and has the grouped field as a header, so a sort of hierachy is created.

For example a report of invoices with the articles that belong to the invoice below the invoice number as a list, without 'Invoice 1" being repeated on every article line:

Invoice 1

article 1      €5

article 2      €6

Invoice 2

article 1      €3

article 2      €3

How can make such a report in Microsoft Power BI?

2 REPLIES 2
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

You are looking for that classic Pivot Table look in Compact Form however we don't have this look yet.

Vote here if you'd like to improve the Matrix.

Idea 1

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9207006-matrix-collapse-expand-bu...

Idea 2

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10948962-matrix-measures-or-value...

@RHAD Sounds like you want a matrix. Here is the sample data set

matrix data.JPG

and here is what it looks like by dropping it in a matrix (I removed the total columns in formatting) These are 2 examples on the same data set, one by invoice only, the other with article. The data will automatically aggregate depending on what fields you have in the matrix.

matrix.JPG

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.