Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Paulien1989
Advocate II
Advocate II

Google Analytics: relationships and live connection

Hi everyone!

I only just started with my first job where I have to create dashboards of Google Analytics data using Power BI Desktop (I know about the content pack, but that doesn't provide what I need). There's a couple of things I'm looking to find out, but there's a few of them I cannot really find answers to:

1) How can I create relationships between different reports pulled from Google Analytics? Because it only allows for 7 dimensions at a time to be pulled, I have to create several reports, but I do have to link them back together. I'd figure that the URL of a page would count as a unique value, but Power BI is still unable to detect relationships... I thought about attributing unique IDs to the URLs, but I have no idea how to do that. Does anyone have an idea on how I could accomplish relationships between tables?

2) Is the connection between Google Analytics and Power BI a live one? So if the data in Google Analytics changes over time, are those changes automatically updated in Power BI or do I have to set some kind of schedule?

Happy to hear, thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

You should be able to, yes. If its still not working and you'd like me to take a look. Feel free to pm me a link to a stripped down version of your PBIX file.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Paulien1989,

2) Is the connection between Google Analytics and Power BI a live one? So if the data in Google Analytics changes over time, are those changes automatically updated in Power BI or do I have to set some kind of schedule?

For online service providers like Google Analytics, no user configuration is necessary in order for the dataset to be refreshed on a regular basis on Power BI Service, the refresh is automatic and usually occurs once-a-day. For more details, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
alienlin
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I am not sure if you have solved the problem. I encountered the same thing, while importing data from GA and connecting two tables keeps giving me the error sign.

Finally I found this step by step video showing how to solve this problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAvQ8pCnWDk

Hope this helps. 🙂

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Paulien1989,

For online service providers like Google Analytics, no user configuration is necessary in order for the dataset to be refreshed on a regular basis on Power BI Service, the refresh is automatic and usually occurs once-a-day. For more details, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

Regards

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Paulien1989

Rather than use the content pack.  Start with Power BI Desktop and use the Get Data button then choose Online Services and finally Google Anayltics.

From here you should enter your GA credentials and you can pick and choose the data you want.  You can create relationships and even bring non GA data into your model

ga.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Phil, thanks for replying. I have no trouble importing the data into Power BI and selecting the dimensions/metrics I want in my reports. The problem I've having is creating relationships of the different, seperate reports I pulled in. My question is: how do I set up relationships between tables/queries after the data is already imported?

Relationships in Power BI need to be 1 to many. So the column used on the table on the 1 side needs to contain unique values.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

So, to get specific to my question, if I would have one table containing all the URLs of all pages, and each URL only appears once in that table, I can use that to build a relationship?

You should be able to, yes. If its still not working and you'd like me to take a look. Feel free to pm me a link to a stripped down version of your PBIX file.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi there, curious as to the solution you provided. Similar predicament here.

Thanks!

Hi there, curious as to the solution you provided. Similar predicament here.

Thanks!

Great, then I'm going to try that. 

Do you also have an answer to my second question?

Hi @Paulien1989

As far as I know the connection is not live but it does refresh on a schedule that you can't control.   I think it's at least daily.  There might be some documentation from MS somewhere.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.