Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mroshchenko
Frequent Visitor

Google Analytics, "Users" quantity is 0 or lower then "New Users".

Hello everyone, 

I loaded from Google Analytics to Power BI desktop the Users, New Users and Year. Couple weeks ago the Users data were correct. Now it is 0 or incomplete. I refreshed/updated, the “New Users” data is up to date, but “User” quantity is not.

On the GA web the “User” qty is available for any date.

Please advise, what to do, who I should to contact.

Thanks.

GA_1.pngGA_2.png

let

Source = GoogleAnalytics.Accounts(),

-----

{Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:year", {"ga:year"}, {"Year"}},

{Cube.AddMeasureColumn, "New Users", "ga:newUsers"},

{Cube.AddMeasureColumn, "Users", "ga:users"}

})

in

#"Added Items"

6 REPLIES 6
WildOlive
Frequent Visitor

Hi @mroshchenko ,

I just tried importing Year, New Users, and Users into Power BI from Google Analytics and received values for all three.

Users' metrics are showing up which means the following "setting" may not provide the fix you see, but it may be worth reviewing...

Double-check the account for "User and event data retention" time frame.

• Google Analytics > Admin > Property Settings > Tracking Info > Data Retention

Check if "user and event" data is set to expire more quickly than anticipated.

Within "User and event data retention" there are 5 options:

1. 14 months
  2. 26 months
  3. 36 months
  4. 50 months
  5. Do not automatically expire

There is also a setting that resets on new activity. (on or off) I believe setting it to "on" resets the "clock" on the first 4 options above.

Best, Michael

Hi @mroshchenko 

As a workaround you can import Users and New Users from GA into windsor.ai account. And access the data from Power BI.

windsor.ai users.png

Hello.
Thank you for reminder to check the data retention settings, it's good idea to set them to "do out automatically expire".

However, it can't solve my problem with "User" data inaccessibility. In case the "New user" data is accessible for all years to export to Power BI, the retention settings unfortunately is not the reason.

Thanks.

@mroshchenko ,

What happens when you only pull in New Users by itself?

Do you have other Google Analytics properties/views? Is the "New Users" metric missing from those too or is it isolated to the property in your initial post?

Thanks, Michael

Hello.

I contacted with Microsoft support and representative explained that I need to apply date condition in advance query editor, only in such way the numbers of  Users can be loaded.

After this I faced with another problem, that "Users" number does not match to the GA website.

As result of data comparison by date, I understood that Power BI shows mathematical summary of users by date and GA website presents unique users number when summery by date does not match with total number for few dates or by month. 

This better explained there

https://help.analyticsedge.com/article/misunderstood-metrics-users/

If I understood correctly, I need to load the Users ID to Power BI in order to calculate the unique users summary, but GA does not allow to export it, probably in ethical purposes. I found suggestion to create "Custom Dimension" on GA, but it is not clear for me yet. I will create a separate post with this question.

Thank you. 

Hi @mroshchenko ,

I am having the same issue. Can you please let me know how to apply date condition in advance query editor?

Regards,

Paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.