Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlito
Frequent Visitor

Google Analytics Limit Exceeded Error

EDIT: @lbuckle flagged this: There's a message on the Power BI Support Page says that they're currently investigating into the issue:

"Customers who attempt to create a new query or edit their credentials for Google Analytics data sources may get an authentication error when entering their Google account information. In addition, some customers may get authentication errors when refreshing datasets that access Google Analytics data. Engineers are working on the fix to mitigate the issue. Next Update @03/23/2018 00:00 PDT."

Hey Everyone,

I've been having issues connecting to Google Analytics data sources lately, getting a 403: Daily Limit Exceeded error no matter which account I log in with. This has never been a problem in the past, even when running the same queries. Here's a screenshot of the error:

image.png

When I visit that URL "https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/analytics.googleapis.com/quotas?project=836582736780", I get this error: 

image.png

Which makes sense, considering I never created any projects using the Google Analytics API dashboard—I've only ever connected to the API via Power BI's Google Analytics connector. When I browse through my projects, nothing shows up.

What's interesting is that I get the same error no matter which account I authenticate with, regardless if I'm using a new .pbix file or an existing one. The project ID in the URL is the same each time, and I'm "over limit" even if I've never used the account with Google's API in the past. 

A couple things I noticed is that the project ID, no matter which Google account I authenticate with, is always "836582736780".  I was looking for a solution and stumbled onto this thread, which has an identical URL, down to the project ID, which suggests that this may be an issue with Power BI, not necessarily Google Analytics (the accepted response in the other thread is to read Google's documentation since it's a Google error).

Hoping someone can shed some light on what may be causing this issue, and how it can be fixed or worked around.

Thanks!

- Carlin

11 REPLIES 11
S_M
Helper III
Helper III

I have been continously getting this error / one that says that the GA credentials are invalid. Has there been any updates around this yet ?

AdamWidi
Frequent Visitor

I am having the exact same issue.  The amount of data I'm pulling back is very small, so I don't believe its a data volume issue. 

I try to view the API usage statistics from the API Dashboard, but nothing is showing.

Is it possible that the quota is being shared across multiple independent users of the Power BI API Connector?

I'm getting similar issue. Can't even create connection. As error is encountered immediately after I sign in to Google Analytics via the connector and connection isn't created.

image.png

It's account that's never been accessed via API. Only through Analytics site.

Still haven't figured out the issue's root cause. But since I needed to wrap up the project, ended up writing python code to fetch data using API and push it to our db. Then have PowerBI quey db through gateway.

I started having this exact problem this week. Up until a few weeks ago it was refreshing and connecting fine. I know that I haven't reached my limit. I can still use other tools to access the GA API (e.g. Sheets plugin). I have the same issue regarding logging in with a different GA account - it just won't connect to GA.

This is a real imediment to completing an important business report this week. If I have to spend time getting my data source from elsewhere then that takes up my analysis time. Microsoft need to fix this. This connector is one of the main reasons I chose to go with Power BI over Excel.

I'm now wondering whether I use Google Sheets to grab the data or a Python script as a few people have mentioned. I'm not familiar with Python - how difficult is it? Are there instructions? Is there a github repository we can download and edit accordingly?

I just noticed this on the Support home page:

Customers who attempt to create a new query or edit their credentials for Google Analytics data sources may get an authentication error when entering their Google account information. In addition, some customers may get authentication errors when refreshing datasets that access Google Analytics data. Engineers are working on the fix to mitigate the issue.Next Update:03/15/2018 2:00 PM PST.

Good to know they're working on it.

I have the same issue and I've no idea how to go around it 😞 Seems like the PowerBI side of things got throttled by Google?

rwurgler

I had the same problem, found the answer in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN5ch2hUS7s

The video describes the problem (and why it happens) between the 1:30 and 6:40 time points. It helped me to watch the whole thing, but if you're impatient the actual solution starts at the 8:45 time point.

Here's a summary:

CAUSE: By default, Power BI attempts to pull ALL data from GA...that could mean thousands or millions of records that you don't actually need, but they count against your daily quota.

SOLUTION: Use filter(s) to reduce the amount of data you’re pulling from Google Analytics to Power BI. Filter the query to only pull the date range you need.

IMPORTANT BEST PRACTICE: Use specific dates to define your desired date range in the query filter. Don't use presets like "This Month" or "Last Month" This ensures you're filtering on the datastream from the GA datacube instead of a locally cached subsample. The video explains this between 9:45 and 12:30.

Thanks for the insight! The video is definitely helpful, and it explains why I can't access the project in the dev console, and could explain why I have the same project ID as another user.

However, I'm not sure the solution solves the problem I have. Even as recent as last week, my auto-refreshes have been working just fine, and I haven't hit the limits before—unless the limits have been changed recently, I don't think I should be hitting them with my queries. Right now, I can't even update my queries to do any tests because they're not loading thanks to this limit.

Also, even when I try authenticating with a Google Analytics account that I've never used in Power BI, regardless which Power BI account I'm logged in to, I'm getting that 403 error before I can even select an account, property or view, much less call a single row of data. I just don't understand how, with a brand new account, I'm already hitting a quota when I've never pinged the API. 

We are currently getting this same error when just attempting a connect to GA.  Is there any resolution on this?  Is it possible the PowerBI has exceeded their daily limit for their project at this point?

I've not got experience with google analytics but I had limit problems with the musicbrainz api. I was getting errors on some calls due to the speed I was asking for data.

I used fiddler to help

https://www.telerik.com/fiddler

It showed me the api calls, data and responses.

Oddly some of my queries seemd to make multple calls for the same data.

I didn't have to much data so I just put in a pause to stop it reqesting too many times a minute.

I also was able to send my users details to help the api.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.