Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Google Analytics Duration in PowerBI

Hi

I've pulled some GA data and selected 'time on page' to pull into the query editor. This automatically gets assigend 'duration' as the data type in the query editor which is correct, however when applyng to the report for build, the values update to decimals and duration data type is not found anymore.

See screenshots below. What would be a solution to getting it back to duration for reporting? I need to be able to present average time on a page.

Alex_Mgg_1-1623687183750.png

Alex_Mgg_2-1623687193150.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I ended up splitting the values out as they were 0.00:00:00 so I could work with minutes and seconds indivually by transforming them.

Thanks again for your help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Gabriel_Walkman
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi!

I tried durations some time ago but could not get them to sum or average in a visual. I had to change the columns back to hours (as decimal) or minutes (as whole numbers).

Edit: oh yeah, there should be a 'Time' option under 'Data type' in your screenshot. Have a test yourself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Gabriel_Walkman 

What values did you reproduce for minutes when selecting whole number as the data type? For me, 55 minutes would convert to 0 as a whole number. 

For the data type time, this looks good but doesn't allow for the selectable measure average. Do you have any suggestions of how average could be put together via a custom measure?

Alex_Mgg_0-1623751980580.png

Thanks

I converted duration to minutes in power query. I did not have to take seconds into consideration. New custom column =
Duration.Hours( [duration] ) * 60 + Duration.Minutes( [duration] )

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I ended up splitting the values out as they were 0.00:00:00 so I could work with minutes and seconds indivually by transforming them.

Thanks again for your help

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

As per my thread with with Gabriel, for the data type time, this looks good but doesn't allow for the selectable measure average. Do you have any suggestions of how average could be put together via a custom measure?

Alex_Mgg_0-1623751980580.png

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.