Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bw17

Google Analytics Bounce Rate Percentages not Matching with GA

Hi,

I pulled in data using the Google Analytics pack into Power BI and noticed that some of my Bounce Rate % values are not matching with what's being reported in GA. It only seems to affect some of the values, for example, in GA the bounce rate % is reported as 65.10% whereas in Power BI, the same page for the same date is reporting at 71.2%. Has anybody seen or has fixed this issue before? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this is your problem but as you know bounce rate is calculated over time.

If you are looking at a month average in GA then the equivalent selection in Power BI will be group by month and year.  The maths won't work if you are averaging the daily averages.

{Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:isoYear", {"ga:isoYear"}, {"ISO Year"}},
{Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:month", {"ga:month"}, {"Month of the year"}},
{Cube.AddMeasureColumn, "Bounce Rate", "ga:bounceRate"}

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@bw17

This is what we got from the product team. It seems a Google API limitation.

This is expected behavior. The API we're using for Google Analytics is the one available to free users, and that API is known to return less accurate values for high volume sites due to the way it samples data. Unfortunately, the API for Google Analytics Premium customers is significantly different than that for the free users, so we'd need to implement a new connector specifically for Premium in order to get the more accurate values. This is not currently on our roadmap. Customers who would like to see this feature should request it or upvote it (if already there) at ideas.powerbi.com.

Thanks for the reply, Eric. What's strange is that I would not consider the site data I pulled in to be classed as high volume as it's just a standard business website with less than 7,000 page views a year. Also, the bounce rate percentanges on other pages for the same time period are correct.

gpillai
Frequent Visitor

Sorry to invade the thread, but how do you select to view the bounce rate percentages for a certain page (or landing page) in powerbi through the connector? Whenever I select the bounce rate it actually retrieves the total bounce rate for the whole site for a specific time period, howevver I'd like to see what the bounce rate is like on each page. 

It would be great if you could help.

Thank you.

gpillai
Frequent Visitor

Sorry to invade the thread, but how do you select to view the bounce rate percentages for a certain page (or landing page) in powerbi through the connector? Whenever I select the bounce rate it actually retrieves the total bounce rate for the whole site for a specific time period, howevver I'd like to see what the bounce rate is like on each page. 

It would be great if you could help.

Thank you.

bw17

Hi,

I pulled in data using the Google Analytics pack into Power BI and noticed that some of my Bounce Rate % values are not matching with what's being reported in GA. It only seems to affect some of the values, for example, in GA the bounce rate % is reported as 65.10% whereas in Power BI, the same page for the same date is reporting at 71.2%. Has anybody seen or has fixed this issue before? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Bounce Rate in Power BI is calculated for all traffic sources. In Power BI add a page level filter for "Source & Medium" and exclude traffic from "Google CPC". 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.