Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lilia
Helper I
Helper I

Globe map custom visualization does not work

Hello,

I would like to use custom visualization Globe map, but every time when I try to display my data, the map does not work. There is no data display on the map.

I use the latest version of power BI. The Location field is populated with Postal code data/ categorized properly " postal code/ I have bar height field using numerical values.

And for instance, the map which is native for power BI has displayed all of my values but Globe Map does not work.

Would you please help me with advice?

Attached are visualizations which have been used and the dataset which is represented in those visualizations/ except the globe map which is empty /Globe map which does not workGlobe map which does not work
Standard mapStandard map

Data displayedData displayed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is now a July version of Power BI Desktop, could you possibly uninstall your current version.Then restart your PC and then install the July Version of Power BI Desktop?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
DenysDnepr
Advocate I
Advocate I

The visualization doesn't work for me: it's put the Lat and Long in any field except for the corresponding fields. I set correct "data type", but my Longitude and Latitude Globe map can place in "Bar Height", "Heat intencity" - everywhere, but not in the coordinates fields...

Kombat
Frequent Visitor

Something weird with Globe Map coordinates.

I'm using the latest (April 2018) PowerBI release. I have about 25 datapoints across the globe georeferenced by coordinates (no variable in Globe Map "Location" field). 24 of those points plot at correct places. A point with coordinates of Lat=60.0 Long=0.0 (which should plot east of Shetlands, UK) plots in the middle of Indian Ocean (as if it has Lat = 0.0 Long = 60.0). I triple checked my dataset (which is a DirectQuery of a Microsoft SQL database) and I'm confident it is correct. Changing the Longitude to -1.0 the point moves to where it belongs. Changing it back to 0.0 brings me back midway between Somalia and Maldives.

Kombat
Frequent Visitor

Actually, same problem when a datapoint has a latitude of 0.0

filmbella
Regular Visitor

I'm having the exact same problem, I am using GDP data from the World Bank, a few days ago it worked then suddenly the data wouldn't show up at all. I have a measure in the bar height and country is under location but it show zip zilch nada.

Hi, @filmbella Do you still have an issue with Globe map?

Yes

I have the same problem. Even tried downloading example PBI data set, but nothing is displayed on the globe.

Hello @GilbertQ

I tryed to use your data sample and power bi file but still the globe map is not working. Do you know to whom I could address my issue. It looks like @filmbella and @viktorjens have the same problem like me. 

Br,

Can you please confirm that you have got the latest version of Power BI Desktop installed.

The version that I have is: "Version: 2.47.4766.801 64-bit (June 2017)"

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ I have the same version as you do.

There is now a July version of Power BI Desktop, could you possibly uninstall your current version.Then restart your PC and then install the July Version of Power BI Desktop?

Power BI Blog

I had the same problem that was fixed by setting the category to "Place".  You could also concatinate the zip codes with ", USA" to specify the country (e.g. "01126, USA"). You could also add the state to have it more refined.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Lilia

Have you created a measure and put it into the Bar Height?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Yes I have created measure and it's placed into the Bar Height.

View

That is really interesting because I tried it with my own data onto the Globe Map and it worked as expected.

Power BI Blog

The only thing, that could couse that problem maybe  is the type of data that I have or because I'm not using Power bi Premuiem. I already try with diffrent sets of data. I even try to recreated the data that has been used in the video bellow  working https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekgg3nd87MQ

I have been follow step by step the attached video and it's not working. Do you use postal codes in the location filled ?

Using Pro should be fine or even the Pro Trial.

I just used a City Name, would it be possible to paste the same data you showed in your first screenshot into here, so that I could try and replicate it on my side.

Power BI Blog

Sure @GilbertQ

Please find attached the dataset Link

Br,

Hello @GilbertQ

I have my postalcode colum is in text data format. But I still do not have positive result.

Do you ming if you send me piece of your data that I could try ?

Hi @Lilia

Here is a link to the file that I created.

Possibly just make sure that there is no whitespace at the end of the Postal Codes?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apxn-69XhcAmhrEdCsuzo6EjsiqD1g

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.